Transmission-Efficient Image-Based Authentication for Mobile Devices
A novel method for image-based authentication (IBA) in a mobile device framework is proposed and evaluated. Often, the users desire for a reliable and user-friendly authentication makes systems vulnerable and hinders the achievement of World Wide Web e-services. In particular, the development of Mobile Internet requires the definition of a user authentication system that satisfies all the requirements of security and usability and does not requires specialized hardware. If on the one hand graphical passwords are easier to recall than traditional alphanumeric passwords, on the other hand the wireless environment imposes severe constraints on data transmission capability and user friendliness, which are satisfied in the system devised.
KeywordsMobile Phone Mobile Device Display Size Authentication Process User Friendliness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cheswick, W.R., Bellovin, S.M., Rubin, A.D.: Firewalls and internet security: Repelling the wily hacker. Addison-Wesley Professional (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.JPEG 2000 image coding system – Part 11: Wireless JPEG 2000 – Working Draft version 3.1. ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 N3294Google Scholar
- 4.Doi, M., Sato, K., Chihara, K.: A Robust Face Identification against Lighting Fluctuation for Lock Control. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, Nara, Japan, pp. 42–47 (1998), PassfacesTM, http://www.idarts.com/
- 7.Sorensen, V.: PassPic (formerly ADS Security Wizard), http://www.authord.com/PassPic/
- 9.Weinshall, D., Kirkpatrick, S.: Passwords you’ll never forget, but can’t recall. In: Proc. Conf. on Computer Human Interaction (CHI), Vienna (2004)Google Scholar