Progressive Contour Coding in the Wavelet Domain
This paper presents a new wavelet-based image contour coding technique, suitable for representing either shapes or generic contour maps. Starting from a contour map (e.g. a segmentation map or the result of an edge detector process), a unique one-dimensional signal is generated from the set of contour points. Coordinate jumps between contour extremities when under a tolerance threshold represent signal discontinuities but they can still be compactly coded in the wavelet domain. Exceeding threshold discontinuities are coded as side information. This side information and the amount of remaining discontinuity are minimized by an optimized contour segment sequencing. The obtained 1D signal is decomposed and coded in the wavelet domain by using a 1D extension of the SPIHT algorithm. The described technique can efficiently code any kind of 2D contour map, from one to many unconnected contour segments. It guarantees a fully embedded progressive coding, state-of-art coding performance, good approximation capabilities for both open and closed contours, and graceful visual degradation at low bit-rates.
KeywordsSide Information Wavelet Domain Contour Point Unequal Error Protection Contour Segment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lee, S., Cho, D., Cho, Y., Son, S., Jang, E., Shin, J., Seo, Y.: Binary Shape Coding Using Baseline-Based Method. IEEE Trans. Circ. and Sys. for VideoTechnol. 9(1), 44–58 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.O’Connell, K.J.: Object-adaptive vertex-based shape coding method. IEEE Trans. Circ. and Sys. for Video Technol. 7, 251–255 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Yamaguchi, N., Ida, T., Watanabe, T.: Abinary shape coding method using modified MMR. In: In:Proc. of Int. Conf. on Image Proc., pp. 504–508 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Brady, N., Bossen, F., Murphy, N.: Context-based arithmetic encoding of 2D shape sequences. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Image Proc., pp. 29–32 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Said, A., Pearlman, W.A.: A new, fast, and efficient image code based on Set Partitioning in Hierarchical Trees. IEEE Trans. Circ. and Sys. for Video Technol. 6(3), 243–250 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Signoroni, A., Arrigoni, M., Lazzaroni, F., Leonardi, R.: Improving SPIHT-based compression of volumetric medical data. In: Proc. of Picture Coding Symp., pp. 187–190 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Eden, M., Kocher, M.: On the performance of a contour coding algorithm in the contex to image coding-Part I: Contour segment coding. Signal Processing 8, 381–386 (1985)Google Scholar
- 11.Kuhn, M.: JBIGKIT lossless image compression library, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/jbigkit/