Cross-Layer Scheduling with Content and Packet Priorities for Optimal Video Streaming over 1xEV-DO
Maximization of received video quality and application-level service fairness are the two principal objectives of multi-user wireless video streaming. The user and packet scheduling mechanisms employed are the determining factors on the communication system performance and must utilize multiple layers of the OSI protocol stack. The semantic and decodability (concealment related) importance and hence priorities of video packets can be considered at the application layer. In this paper, the use of video content and packet priorities for multi-objective optimized (MOO) scheduling in 1xEV-DO system is introduced. Rate adaptive AVC/H.264 encoding is used for content adaptation and a user with the least buffer fullness, best channel throughput and highest video packet importance is targeted for scheduling. Hence, losses are forced to occur at packets with low semantic/decodability importance. Results show that the proposed framework achieves 1-to-2 dB’s better PSNR in high importance temporal regions compared to the state-of-the-art CBR encoding case.
KeywordsTime Slot Multiobjective Optimization Video Streaming Packet Loss Rate Video Packet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Knopp, R., Humblet, P.A.: Multiple accessing over frequency selective fading channels. In: Proceedings of IEEE PIMRC, Toronto, Canada (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.TIA/EIA IS-856-2: Cdma2000 High rate packet data air interface specification (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Jalali, A., Padovani, R., Pankaj, R.: Data throughput of cdma-hdr: A high efficiency high data rate personal communications system. In: IEEE 51st Vehicular Technology Conference, Tokyo, Japan (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Shakkottai, S., Stolyar, A.: Scheduling algorithms for a mixture of real-time and non-realtime data in HDR. In: Proc. 17th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC-17), Salvador de Bahia, Brazil (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.De Vito, F., Quaglia, D., De Martin, J.C.: Model-based distortion estimation for perceptual classification of video packets. In: Proceedings of IEEE Int. Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), Siena, Italy, vol. 1, pp. 79–82 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Ozcelebi, T., Sunay, O., Tekalp, A. M., Civanlar, M. R.: Cross-layer design for real time video streaming over 1xEV-DO using multiple objective optimization: To appear in IEEE GlobeCom (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Papadimitriou, H., Yannakakis, M.: Multi-objective query optimization. In: Proceedings of Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), pp. 52–59. California (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Lim, Y.-i., Floquet, P., Joulia, X.: Multiobjective optimization considering economics and environmental impact: ECCE2, Montpellier (1999)Google Scholar