ODECAL, a Flexible Open Source Rag Doll Simulation Engine
This paper describes the implementation of ODECAL, a real-time physics powered, rag doll simulation system with animation blending ability. Unlike the traditional key frame animation rag doll system, our animating 3D character can blend into physics state to perform rag doll simulation and vice verse seamlessly. It can even be applied to any form of creatures with bone based articulation. ODECAL can be used for the development of computer games as well as virtual reality applications to enhance the realism and sense of immersion. ODECAL was build with flexible design in mind to allow it to integrate easily with any 3D rendering toolkits and game engines. It was written entirely in C++ using object oriented design to provide programmer a ”developer friendly” modularize architecture for large scale software project. We also utilized open source technologies for low cost development as well as its strong cross platform feature.
KeywordsComputer Game Object Oriented Design Game Engine Joint Constraint Virtual Reality Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bierbaum, A., Just, C., Hartling, P., Meinert, K., Baker, A., Cruz-Neira, C.: VR Juggler: A Virtual Platform for Virtual Reality Application Development. In: Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Realtiy, pp. 89–96 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Cal3d skeletal based 3d character animation library, http://cal3d.sf.net/
- 3.Havok: Dynamic Gameplay, http://www.havok.com/products/
- 4.Ragdoll, K.: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Karma_ragdoll/
- 5.Open Dynamics Engine, http://www.ode.org/
- 6.Macredie, R., Taylor, S.J.E., Yu, X., Keeble, R.: Virtual reality and simulation: an overview. In: Proceedings of 28th Conference on Winter Simulation, pp. 669–674 (1996)Google Scholar