PS-DA Model of Game Addiction: Theoretical Hypothesis and Case Analysis
Excessive game play of adolescents is one of the serious problems faced by the information society. This paper reviews the related work and programs of this field first, and then explores the mechanism which leads to Game Addiction (GA) from the perspective of inner architecture of game. We find that game addiction is due to the PS-DA cycle embedded in games, and provide a method to control and utilize GA from the source of edutainment game development. Furthermore, we discuss the possibilities of implanting the PS-DA mechanism into instruction and general activities.
KeywordsPathological Gambling Internet Addiction Computer Game Playing Theoretical Hypothesis Game Addiction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hauge, M.R., Gentile, D.A.: Video Game Addiction Among Adolescents: Associations with Academic Performance and Aggression. In: Society for Research in Child Development Conference, Tampa, FL (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Bryce, J., Rutter, J.: The Gendering of Computer Gaming: Experience and Space (November 1, 2005), Available at, http://les1.man.ac.uk/cric/Jason_Rutter/papers/LSA.pdf
- 4.Xia, F.: PC Games, Electronic Heroin Aims Children (November 1, 2005), Available at, http://search.gmw.cn/search.jsp
- 5.Zhu, Z., Deng, P., et al.: Edutainment Technology: A New Field of Educational Technology. China Educational Technology 220, 11–14 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Lim, D., Sellman, D.: The Phenomenology of Pathological Gambling and Other Behavioural Addictions. New Zealand Treatment Research Monograph: Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Federwisch, A.: Internet Addiction? (November 1, 2005), Available at, http://www.nurseweek.com/features/97-8/iadct.html
- 11.Young, K.S.: Internet addiction: symptoms, evaluation and treatment. Innovations in Clinical Practice: A Source Book 177, 19–31 (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Ferris, J.R.: Internet Addiction Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, and Consequences (November 1, 2005), Available at, http://www.chem.vt.edu/chem-dept/dessy/honors/papers/ferris.html
- 13.Goldberg, I.: MD: Internet Addictive Disorder (IAD) Diagnostic Criteria (November 1, 2005), Available at, http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.html
- 14.Young, K.S.: Internet Addiction: The Emergence Of A New Clinical Disorder. In: Paper presented at 104th annual meeting of the American Psychology Association, Toronto, Canada, (August 15, 1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Deng, P., Zhu, Z.: A Framework Of Training Programs On Edutainment Technology. China Educational Technology 221, 10–13 (2005)Google Scholar