The ARTable: An AR-Based Tangible User Interface System
Augmented Reality (AR) and Tangible User Interface (TUI) have been proven to provide intuition to human computer interface with richness of a tactile sense. Recent implementations in that field, however, have inherited a 2D Graphical User Interface (GUI) scheme and work as isolated systems. Consequently, the systems are limited in supporting intuitive interfaces and various applications. This paper presents an AR-based tangible interaction system for table-top interaction environments. A projector displays information or graphical images on the table through back-projection. Two cameras on and under the table track the tangible objects which are attached with ARToolKit markers and that are used as interaction tools. Furthermore, a Augmentation Display beside the table shows graphical objects combined with the real table. The system shares the object tracking information of the object as context through the vr-UCAM . Moreover, we also present a scheme of tracking smoothing based on a tracking prediction using Kalman Filter. As an application, the ARTable is integrated with Responsive Multimedia System (RMS), a storytelling system [3,4]. The proposed system is applicable to a wide range of usages such as virtual reality and augmented reality applications.
KeywordsKalman Filter Augmented Reality Virtual World Interaction Space Graphical Object
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Azuma, R.: A Survey of Augmented Reality. Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments 6(4), 355–385 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Ishii, H., Ullmer, B.: Tangible Bits: Towards Seamless Interfaces between People, Bits and Atoms. In: Proceedings of ACM CHI 1997, pp. 234–241 (March 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, Y., Kim, D., Lim, Y., Kim, K., Kim, H., Woo, W.: Dream of Mee-luck: Aspiration for a New Dawn. In: Subsol, G. (ed.) ICVS-VirtStory 2005. LNCS, vol. 3805, pp. 282–285. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Rekimoto, J., Saitoh, M.: Augmented Surfaces: A Spatially Continuous Work Space for Hybrid Computing Environments. In: Proceedings of CHI 1999, pp. 378–385. ACM Press, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Poupyrev, I.: Augmented Groove: Collaborative Jamming in Augmented Reality. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 2000 Conference Abstracts and Applications, p. 77 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, Y., Oh, S., Suh, Y., Woo, W.: Developing vr-UCAM for Interaction on Distributed Virtual Environments. In: KHCI 2005, pp. 507–512 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Welch, G., Bishop, G.: An introduction to the kalman filter. CS TR 95-041, UNC (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Li, B., Sezan, I.: Automatic keystone correction for smart projectors with embedded camera. In: ICIP 2004. 2004 International Conference on Image Processing 2004, vol. 4, pp. 2829–2832 (October 2004)Google Scholar