A Novel Algorithm for Extracting the Boundaries of Two Planar Curves’ Morphologic Summation
In this paper, the morphologic summation of two curves is studied and its parametric equation is obtained. Because the morphologic summation is usually a region that not convenient to analyze and to use, we turn to research its boundaries and found a super set of the boundaries by solving the Jacobi determinant equation. In our method, the super set consists of several sub-curves and the corresponding parametric equation of each sub-curve can be obtained. As the super set includes the real boundaries and the pseudo boundaries, we propose a method of removing the pseudo boundaries real. To avoid the complicated computation, based on the geometric meanings of the boundaries, an approximate algorithm is also applied. Experimental results show that the approximate boundaries are very close to the real boundaries and the computational cost is low.
KeywordsPath Planning Boundary Curve Parametric Equation Approximate Algorithm Planar Curf
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ghosh, P.K.: A Solution of polygon Containment, Spatial Planning, and other Related Problems Using Minkowski Operations. In: CVGIP, vol. 49, pp. 1–35 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Ghosh, P.K.: An Algebra of Polygons Through the Notion of Negative Shapes. In: CVGIP, vol. 54, pp. 119–144 (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee2, I.-K., Kim3, M.-S., Elber4, G.: The Minkowski Sum of 2D Curved Objects. In: Proceedings of Israel-Korea Bi-National Conference on New Themes in Computerized Geometrical Modeling, pp. 155–164. Tel-Aviv Univ. (February 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Seong, J.-K., Kim, M.-S., Sugihara, K.: The Minkowski Sum of Two Simple Surfaces Generated by Slope-Monotone Closed Curves, Theory and Applications (GMP 2002), Wako, Saitama, Japan, July 10 - 12, p. 33 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, I.-K., Kim, M.-S., Elber, G.: Polynomial/ rational approximation of Minkowski sum boundary curves. Submitted to Graphical Models and Image ProcessingGoogle Scholar
- 8.Preparata, F.P., Shamos, M.I.: Computation Geometry: An Introduction. Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.do Carmo, M.P.: Differential Geometry of Curves and SurfacesGoogle Scholar
- 10.Willmore, T.J.: An Introduction to Differential GeometryGoogle Scholar
- 11.Lee, I.-K., Kim, M.-S., Elber, G.: New approximation methods of planar offset and convolution curves. In: Strasser, W. (ed.) To appear in Theory and Practice of Geometric Modeling. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar