Collaborative 3D Modeling of Large-Scale Virtual Geographic Environment
Virtual geographic environment is involved in many kinds of data, which are very huge. Many theories of 3D interactive visualization such as dynamic data loading are presented and applied to the navigation of the whole scene. However, in 3D modeling, some approaches such as segmentation of the whole scene into subareas are often adopted. Thus, the disaccord between visualization and modeling may cause trouble. In this paper, the integration of 3D interactive visualization and 3D modeling is discussed, and a collaborative 3D modeling environment is designed and constructed. As a case study, a virtual learning environment for Lushan fieldwork education is implemented.
KeywordsVirtual Reality Poyang Lake Interactive Visualization Virtual Learning Environment Outdoor Scene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brenner, C.: City models-automation in research and practice. Photogrammetric, 149–150 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Forstner, W.: 3D-city models: automatic and semiautomatic acquisition methods. In: Photogrammetric Week 1999, pp. 291–303 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Gong, J., Lin, h.: A geographical perspective on online virtual reality, pp. 62–63 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Whyte, J., Bouchlaghem, N., Thorpe, A., McCaffer, R.: Automation in construction, vol. 45 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhu, Q., Li, D.: CyberCity GIS, pp. 107–108. Wuhan University, Wuhan (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Ranta-Eskola, S.: Binary space partioning trees and polygon removal in real time 3D rendering. Uppsala master’s theses in computing science, 1–17 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Pan, Z., Cheok, A., Yang, H.: Virtual reality and mixed reality for virtual learning environments. Computers & Graphics (2005)Google Scholar