On Demand E-Learning with Service Grid Technologies
Distant e-learning emerges as one of promising means for people to learn online. Although there is a substantial increase in computer and network performance in recent years, mainly as a result of faster hardware and more sophisticated software, there are still problems in the fields of integrating various resources towards enabling distant e-learning. This paper provides an on demand e-learning platform based on Service Grid technologies. In this platform, the virtual learning services for students, instructors and course providers are provided leveraging on Service Grid resource management capabilities on group collaboration, ubiquitous data access, and computing power.
KeywordsService Grid Multimedia Streaming Virtual Classroom Open Grid Service Architecture Sharable Content Object Reference Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zemke, R., Zemke, S.: Adult learning: What do we know for sure? Training 32(6), 31–40 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Luo, Z., Zhang, J., Badia, R.M.: Service Grid for Business Computing. In: Grid Technologies: Emerging from Distributed Architectures to Virtual Organizations. WIT Press, Southampton (2005) (accepted, to appear)Google Scholar
- 3.Dennis, T., El-Gayar, O.: Effectiveness of Hybrid Learning Environments. Issues in Information Systems VI(1) (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Bourne, J.R.: Net-learning: Strategies for On-Campus and Off-Campus Network-enabled Learning. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks (JALN) 2(2) (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, N.S., Ko, H.-C., Kinshuk, Lin, T.: Synchronous Learning Model over the Internet. Innovations in Education and Teaching International 42(2) (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Williams, K.A., Paparozzi, E.T.: Model to develop a synchronous inter-institutional course using distance technologies. NACTA Journal (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Definitions for Distance Education, Asynchronous and Synchronous Learning, http://www.learningcircuits.org/glossary.html
- 8.On Demand Service Grid. ODSG, www.ibm.com
- 9.OGSA-DAI, www.globus.org
- 10.AccessGrid, www.accessgrid.org
- 11.Community Scheduler Framework, CSF, www.globus.org
- 13.EU-US Learning grid, http://us-eu.ncsa.uiuc.edu/domains/elearning.htm