An Efficient Design of CCMP for Robust Security Network
For high data rate, new mechanisms such as Block Ack and frame aggregation are currently being discussed in IEEE 802.11e and IEEE 802.11n, respectively. These mechanisms need a short response time in each MPDU processing. In this paper, we propose an efficient design of CCMP for IEEE 802.11i to support these new MAC mechanisms. The proposed design adopts the mode toggling approach, in which MIC calculation and data encryption are sequentially performed for each 128 bits of the packet in only one AESCCM core. In our design, the response time is reduced to a short constant period, which takes only 44 clock cycles. In addition, we can reduce hardware complexity and power consumption, because our design uses one AES-CCM core and obtains the reasonable data throughput and response time at even low clock frequency. We have implemented the proposed design, which is targeted to Altera Stratix FPGA device. As a result of the experiments, the CCMP features 285 Mbps data throughput and 0.88 μs . response time at 50 MHz frequency.
KeywordsClock Cycle Clock Frequency Counter Mode Data Throughput Payload Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE standard 802.11i (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Whiting, H.D., Housley, R., Ferguson, M.N.: Counter with CBC-MAC(CCM). RFC 3610 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Jang, H.Y., Shim, J.H., Suk, J.H., Hwang, I.C., Choi, J.R.: Compatible Design Of Ccmp And Ocb Aes Cipher Using Seperated Encryptor And Decryptor For IEEE 802.11I, ISCAS 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.IEEE standard 802.11e/D13.0 (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Gast, M.S.: 802.11 Wireless Networks, 2nd edn. O’Reilly, Sebastopol (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Edney, J., Arbaugh, W.A.: Real 802.11 security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i. Addison Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE P802.11, The Working group for Wireless LANs, http://www.ieee802.org/11/
- 8.Jarvinen, K.U., Tommiska, M.T., Skytta, J.O.: A fully pipelined memoryless 17.8 Gbps AES-128 encryptor. In: Proc. International Symposium on Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA 2003), Monterey, CA, pp. 207–215 (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, X., Parhi, K.K.: An Efficent 21.56GBPS Aes Implementation On Fpga. In: Conference Record of the Thirty-Eighth Asilomar Conference, vol. 1 (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Whiting, H.D., Housley, R., Ferguson, M.N.: Counter with CBC-MAC(CCM). RFC 3610 (September 2003)Google Scholar