Adapting Prime Number Labeling Scheme for Directed Acyclic Graphs
Directed Acyclic Graph(DAG) could be used for modeling subsumption hierarchies. Several labeling schemes have been proposed or tailored for indexing DAG in order to efficiently explore relationships in such hierarchy. However few of them can satisfy all the requirements in response time, space, and effect of updates simultaneously. In this paper, the prime number labeling scheme is extended for DAG. The scheme invests intrinsic mapping between integer divisibility and subsumption hierarchy, which simplifies the transitive closure computations and diminishes storage redundancy, as well as inherits the dynamic labeling ability from original scheme. Performance is further improved by introducing some optimization techniques. Our extensive experimental results show that prime number labeling scheme for DAG outperforms interval-based and prefix-based labeling schemes in most cases.
KeywordsSpan Tree Prime Number Direct Acyclic Graph Label Scheme Construction Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Postgresql 8.0.3 documentation. available at: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/index.html
- 2.Beckett, D.: Scalability and storage: Survey of free software / open source rdf storage systems. Technical Report 1016, ILRT (June 2003),http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/rdf_scalable_storage_report/
- 3.O.C.L. Center. Dewey decimal classification. available at: http://www.oclc.org/dewey
- 4.Christophides, V., Karvounarakis, G., Plexousakis, D., Scholl, M., Tourtounis, S.: Optimizing taxonomic semantic web queries using labeling schemes. Journal of Web Semantics 11(001), 207–228 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, Q., Moon, B.: Indexing and querying xml data for regular path expressions. In: Apers, P.M.G., Atzeni, P., Ceri, S., Paraboschi, S., Ramamohanarao, K., Snodgrass, R.T. (eds.) Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Roma, Italy, pp. 361–370 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, X., Lee, M.-L., Hsu, W.: A prime number labeling scheme for dynamic ordered xml trees. In: ICDE, pp. 66–78. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar