A Tabu Search Algorithm for Optimization of Gas Distribution Networks
In this paper a tabu search algorithm is proposed for the optimization of constrained gas distribution networks. The problem consists in finding the least cost combination of diameters, from a discrete set of commercially available ones, for the pipes of a given gas network, satisfying the constraints related to minimum pressure requirements and upstream pipe conditions. Since this is a nonlinear mixed integer problem, metaheuristic approaches seem to be more suitable and to provide better results than classical optimization methods. In this work, a tabu search heuristics is applied to the problem and the results of the proposed algorithm are compared with the results of a genetic algorithm and two other versions of tabu search algorithms. The results are very promising, regarding both quality of solutions and computational time.
KeywordsTabu Search Pipe Diameter Tabu List Tabu Search Algorithm Water Distribution Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boyd, I.D., Surry, P.D., Radcliffe, N.J.: Constrained gas network pipe sizing with genetic algorithms, EPCC-TR94-11, University of Edinburgh (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Boyd, E.A., Scott, L.R., Wu, S.: Evaluating the quality of pipeline optimization algorithms (1997), http://www.psig.org/paper/1997/9709.pdf
- 4.Castro, M.P.: Algoritmos evolucionários para o problema de dimensionamento dos dutos de uma rede urbana de distribuição de gás natural. Dissertation (Master’s degree in Systems and Computers). Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Costa, W.E.: Um estudo algorítmico para o problema do dimensionamento de dutos em uma rede urbana de distribuição de gás natural. Dissertation (Master’s degree in Systems and Computers). Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Osiadacz, A.J., Górecki, M.: Optimization of pipe sizes for distribution gas network design (1995), http://www.psig.org/papers/1987/9511.pdf
- 10.Rothfarb, B., Frank, H., Rosenbaum, D., Steiglitz, K., Kleitman, D.: Optimal design of offshore natural-gas pipeline systems. Operations Research 6(18), 922–1020 (1970)Google Scholar