P-CAGE: An Environment for Evolutionary Computation in Peer-to-Peer Systems
Solving complex real-world problems using evolutionary computation is a CPU time-consuming task that requires a large amount of computational resources. Peer-to-Peer (P2P) computing has recently revealed as a powerful way to harness these resources and efficiently deal with such problems. In this paper, we present a P2P implementation of Genetic Programming based on the JXTA technology. To run genetic programs we use a distributed environment based on a hybrid multi-island model that combines the island model with the cellular model. Each island adopts a cellular genetic programming model and the migration occurs among neighboring peers. The implementation is based on a virtual ring topology. Three different termination criteria (effort, time and max-gen) have been implemented. Experiments on some popular benchmarks show that the approach presents a accuracy at least comparable with classical distributed models, retaining the obvious advantages in terms of decentralization, fault tolerance and scalability of P2P systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The jxta project., http://www.jxta.org
- 2.Fernandez, F., Galeano, G., Gomez, J.A.: Comparing synchronous and asynchronous parallel and distributed genetic programming models. In: Foster, J.A., Lutton, E., Miller, J., Ryan, C., Tettamanzi, A.G.B. (eds.) EuroGP 2002. LNCS, vol. 2278, pp. 326–335. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Litrán, J.C.C., Défago, X., Satou, K.: Asynchronous peer-to-peer communication for failure resilient distributed genetic algorithms. In: Proc. 15th IASTED Int’l Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems (PDCS), Marina del Rey, CA, USA, November 2003, vol. II, pp. 769–773 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Sobeih, A., Yurcik, W., Hou, J.C.: Vring: A case for building application-layer multicast rings (rather than trees). In: MASCOTS, pp. 437–446 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Tomassini, M., Vanneschi, L., Fernández, F., Galeano, G.: Experimental investigation of three distributed genetic programming models. In: Guervós, J.J.M., Adamidis, P.A., Beyer, H.-G., Fernández-Villacañas, J.-L., Schwefel, H.-P. (eds.) PPSN 2002. LNCS, vol. 2439, pp. 641–650. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar