P-CAGE: An Environment for Evolutionary Computation in Peer-to-Peer Systems
Solving complex real-world problems using evolutionary computation is a CPU time-consuming task that requires a large amount of computational resources. Peer-to-Peer (P2P) computing has recently revealed as a powerful way to harness these resources and efficiently deal with such problems. In this paper, we present a P2P implementation of Genetic Programming based on the JXTA technology. To run genetic programs we use a distributed environment based on a hybrid multi-island model that combines the island model with the cellular model. Each island adopts a cellular genetic programming model and the migration occurs among neighboring peers. The implementation is based on a virtual ring topology. Three different termination criteria (effort, time and max-gen) have been implemented. Experiments on some popular benchmarks show that the approach presents a accuracy at least comparable with classical distributed models, retaining the obvious advantages in terms of decentralization, fault tolerance and scalability of P2P systems.
KeywordsMigration Cage Harness Guaran Terion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The jxta project., http://www.jxta.org
- 2.Fernandez, F., Galeano, G., Gomez, J.A.: Comparing synchronous and asynchronous parallel and distributed genetic programming models. In: Foster, J.A., Lutton, E., Miller, J., Ryan, C., Tettamanzi, A.G.B. (eds.) EuroGP 2002. LNCS, vol. 2278, pp. 326–335. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Litrán, J.C.C., Défago, X., Satou, K.: Asynchronous peer-to-peer communication for failure resilient distributed genetic algorithms. In: Proc. 15th IASTED Int’l Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems (PDCS), Marina del Rey, CA, USA, November 2003, vol. II, pp. 769–773 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Sobeih, A., Yurcik, W., Hou, J.C.: Vring: A case for building application-layer multicast rings (rather than trees). In: MASCOTS, pp. 437–446 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Tomassini, M., Vanneschi, L., Fernández, F., Galeano, G.: Experimental investigation of three distributed genetic programming models. In: Guervós, J.J.M., Adamidis, P.A., Beyer, H.-G., Fernández-Villacañas, J.-L., Schwefel, H.-P. (eds.) PPSN 2002. LNCS, vol. 2439, pp. 641–650. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar