Strongly Connected Dominating Sets in Wireless Sensor Networks with Unidirectional Links
A Connected Dominating Set (CDS) can serve as a virtual backbone for a wireless sensor network since there is no fixed infrastructure or centralized management in wireless sensor networks. With the help of CDS, routing is easier and can adapt quickly to network topology changes. The CDS problem has been studied extensively in undirected graphs, especially in unit disk graphs, in which each sensor node has the same transmission range. However, in practice, the transmission ranges of all nodes are not necessarily to be equal. In this paper, we model a network as a disk graph where unidirectional links are considered and introduce the Strongly Connected Dominating Set (SCDS) problem in disk graphs. We propose two constant approximation algorithms for the SCDS problem and compare their performances through the theoretical analysis.
KeywordsStrongly Connected Dominating Set Disk Graph Wireless Sensor Network Virtual Backbone Directed Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thai, M.T., Wang, F., Liu, D., Zhu, S., Du, D.-Z.: Connected Dominating Sets in Wireless Networks with Different Transmission Ranges (2005) (manuscript)Google Scholar
- 2.Li, Y., Zhu, S., Thai, M.T., Du, D.-Z.: Localized Construction of Connected Dominating Set in Wireless Networks. In: NSF International Workshop on Thoretical Aspects of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor and Peer-to-Peer Networks (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Wan, P.-J., Alzoubi, K.M., Frieder, O.: Distributed Construction on Connected Dominating Set in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the Conference of the IEEE Communications Society (INFOCOM) (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, Y., Thai, M.T., Wang, F., Yi, C.-W., Wang, P.-J., Du, D.-Z.: On Greedy Construction of Connected Dominating Sets in Wireless Networks. In: Special issue of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (WCMC) (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Cardei, M., Cheng, M.X., Cheng, X., Du, D.-Z.: Connected Domination in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computer Science and Informatics (CSI) (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Ruan, L., Du, H., Jia, X., Wu, W., Li, Y., Ko, L.-I.: A Greedy Approximation for Minimum Connected Dominating Sets. Theoretical Computer Science (2005) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 8.Wu, J., Li, H.: On Calculating Connected Dominating Sets for Efficient Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of the Third International Workshop Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing and Comm. (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Alzoubi, K.M., Wang, P.-J., Frieder, O.: Message-Optimal Connected Dominating Sets in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MOBIHOC) (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Dai, F., Wu, J.: An Extended Localized Algorithms for Connected Dominating Set Formation in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 15(10) (October 2004)Google Scholar