Automatically Constructing Descriptive Site Maps
Rapid increase in the number of pages on web sites, and widespread use of search engine optimization techniques, lead to web sites becoming difficult to navigate. Traditional site maps do not provide enough information about the site, and are often outdated. In this paper, we propose a machine learning based algorithm, which, combined with natural language processing, automatically constructs high quality descriptive site maps. In contrast to the previous work, our approach does not rely on heuristic rules to build site maps, and does not require specifying the number of items in a site map in advance. It also generates concise, but descriptive summaries for every site map item. Preliminary experiments with a set of educational web sites show that our method can construct site maps of high quality. An important application of our method is a new paradigm for accessing information on the Web, which integrates searching and browsing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anchor Text Optimization, http://www.seo-gold.com/tutorial/anchor-text-optimization.html
- 2.Candan, K.C., Li, W.-S.: Reasoning for Web Document Associations and its Applications in Site Map Construction. Data and Knowledge Engineering 43(2) (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Dmitriev, P., Lagoze, C., Suchkov, B.: As We May Perceive: Inferring Logical Documents from Hypertext. In: 16th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Eiron, N., McCurley, K.S.: Untangling compound documents on the web. In: 14th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (August 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Eiron, N., McCurley, K.S.: Analysis of anchor text for web search. In: 26th ACM SIGIR Conference (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, W.-S., Kolak, O., Vu, Q., Takano, H.: Defining logical domains in a Web Site. In: 11th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (May 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.OCLC Web Characterization Project, http://wcp.oclc.org/
- 8.O’Neill, E.T., Lavoie, B.F., Bennett, R.: Trends in the Evolution of the Public Web, 1998-2002. D-Lib Magazine 9(4) (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Wall, D.: How to Steal to the Top of Google, http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Google-Optimization-Help/