PENCAPS: A Parallel Application for Electrode Encased Grounding Systems Project
The design of concrete encased electrode grounding systems by conventional computation procedures is a time-consuming task. It happens once the electromagnetic representation of the physical system requires the calculation of large full matrices. Recently, the possibility of paralleling the procedures involved in such calculations led the authors to implement a C language parallel application, based on MPI (Message Passing Interface). This article presents the engineering problem associated to this development and the fundamental aspects regarding this application, including the evaluation of its efficiency for solution of large grounding systems.
KeywordsMessage Passing Interface Parallel Application Grounding System Soil Resistivity Network File System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Visacro, S.F., Ribeiro, H.A.: Some Evaluations Concerning the Performance of Concrete-Encased Electrodes: an Approach by the Boundary Elements. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Grounding and Earthing, GROUND 1998, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, pp. 63–67 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Ribeiro, H.A.: Development of a Computational Tool for the Performance Evaluation of the Concrete Encased Grounding Systems Over Low Frequency Phenomena. M.SC Thesis, UFMG, Belo Horizonte, Brazil (2000) (in Portuguese)Google Scholar
- 4.Kostic, M.B., Popovic, B.D., Jovanonic, M.S.: Numerical Analysis of a Class of Foundation Grounding Systems. IEE Proceedings – C 137(2), 123–128 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Visacro, S.F., Ribeiro, H.A., Palmeira, P.F.M.: Evaluation of Potential Distribution at Vicinities of Grounding Configurations Comprising Both Concrete Encased Electrodes and Conventional Meshes. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Grounding and Earthing - GROUND 2000, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, pp. 123–126 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Snir, M., Otto, S., Lederman, S.H., Walker, D., Dongarra, J.: MPI: The Complete Reference. The MIT Press, London (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Birchal, M.A.S., Vale, M.H.M., Visacro, S.F.: Analysis of Risk Conditions on Interconnected Grounding Systems: Concrete Encased Electrodes and Grid. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Grounding and Earthing, GROUND 2004, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, pp. 297–301 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Quinn, M.J.: Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP. McGraw-Hill, New York (2004)Google Scholar