A Column Generation Scheme for Faculty Timetabling
In this paper we deal with the problem of building a time-table for the courses of a university faculty. We propose an integer linear programming approach based on column generation. Each column is associated with a weekly timetable of a single course. The constraints referring to classroom occupancy and the non-overlapping in time of courses are in the integer linear programming matrix. The constraints and preferences related to a single course timetable are embedded in the column generation procedure. Generating a column for a course amounts to selecting the currently best time slots in the week. The interaction between the column generation procedure and the branch-and-bound method is also discussed. Some computational results are shown.
KeywordsTime Slot Column Generation Timetabling Problem Integer Linear Programming Formulation Classroom Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aubin, J., Ferland, J.A.: A Large Scale Timetabling Problem. Comput. Oper. Res. 16, 67–77 (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.Barnhart, C., Johnson, E.L., Nemhauser, G.L., Savelsbergh, M.W.P., Vance, P.: Branch-and-Price: Column Generation for Solving Huge Integer Problems. Oper. Res. 46, 316–329 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Daskalaki, S., Birbas, T., Housos, E.: An Integer Programming Formulation for a Case Study in University Timetabling. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 153, 117–135 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Ferland, J.A., Fleurent, C.: SAPHIR: A Decision Support System for Course Scheduling. Interfaces 24, 105–115 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. Freeman, San Francisco (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.Hultberg, T.H., Cardoso, D.M.: The Teacher Assignment Problem: A Special Case of the Fixed Charge Transportation Problem. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 101, 463–473 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Maculan, N., de Mendonça Passini, M., de Moura Brito, J.A., Loiseau, I.: Column-Generation in Integer Linear Programming. RAIRO Oper. Res. 37, 67–83 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Papoutsis, K., Valouxis, C., Housos, E.: A Column Generation Approach for the Timetabling Problem of Greek High Schools. J. Oper. Res. Soc. 54, 230–238 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Schaerf, A.: A Survey of Automated Timetabling. Artif. Intell. Rev. 13, 87–127 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.de Werra, D.: An Introduction to Timetabling. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 19, 151–162 (1985)Google Scholar
- 11.de Werra, D.: The Combinatorics of Timetabling. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 96, 504–513 (1997)Google Scholar