Reconstruction-Independent 3D CAD for Calcification Detection in Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Using Fuzzy Particles
In this paper we present a novel approach for microcalcification detection in Digital Breast Tomosynthesis (DBT) datasets. A reconstruction-independent approach, working directly on the projected views, is proposed. Wavelet filter responses on the projections are thresholded and combined to obtain candidate microcalcifications. For each candidate, we create a fuzzy contour through a multi-level thresholding process. We introduce a fuzzy set definition for the class microcalcification contour that allows the computation of fuzzy membership values for each candidate contour. Then, an aggregation operator is presented that combines information over the complete set of projected views, resulting in 3D fuzzy particles. A final decision is made taking into account information acquired over a range of successive processing steps. A clinical example is provided that illustrates our approach. DBT still being a new modality, a similar published approach is not available for comparison and limited clinical data currently prevents a clinical evaluation of the algorithm. .
KeywordsDigital Mammography Aggregation Operator Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Algebraic Reconstruction Technique Projected View
- 1.Kerlikowske, K., Schipper, H.: Fast Facts-Breast Cancer (Epidemiology). Health Press Limited, Oxford (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Lanyi, M.: Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis of Breast Calcifications. Springer, Heidelberg (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, H.-P., Wei, J., Sahiner, B., Rafferty, E.A., Wu, T., Roubidoux, M.A., Moore, R.H., Kopans, D.B., Hadjiiski, L.M., Helvie, M.A.: Computerized Detection of Masses on Digital Tomosynthesis Mammograms - A preliminary Study. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Digital Mammography, Chapel Hill, NC. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Reiser, I., Nishikawa, R.M., Giger, M.L., Kopans, D.B., Rafferty, E.A., Moore, R., Wu, T.: A Reconstruction-Independent Method for Computerized Detection of Mammographic Masses in Tomosynthesis Images. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Digital Mammography, Chapel Hill, NC. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Pandey, N., Salcic, Z., Sivaswamy, J.: Fuzzy Logic Based Microcalcification Detection. In: Neural Networks for Signal Processing - Proceedings of the IEEE Work-shop, vol. 2, pp. 662–671 (2000)Google Scholar