XML Retrieval with a Natural Language Interface
Effective information retrieval in XML documents requires the user to have good knowledge of document structure and of some formal query language. XML query languages like XPath and XQuery are too complex to be considered for use by end users. We present an approach to XML query processing that supports the specification of both textual and structural constraints in natural language. We implemented a system that supports the evaluation of both formal XPath-like queries and natural language XML queries. We present comparative test results that were performed with the INEX 2004 topics and XML collection. Our results quantify the trade-off in performance of natural language XML queries vs formal queries with favourable results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Smeaton, A.F.: Information Retrieval: Still Butting Heads with Natural Language Processing? In: Pazienza, M.T. (ed.) SCIE 1997. LNCS, vol. 1299, pp. 115–138. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Smeaton, A.F.: Using NLP or NLP Resources for Information Retrieval Tasks. , pp. 99–111Google Scholar
- 3.Arampatzis, A., van der Weide, T., Koster, C., van Bommel, P.: Linguistically-motivated Information Retrieval. In: Kent, A. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, vol. 69, pp. 201–222. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Sparck Jones, K.: What is the role of NLP in text retrieval? , pp. 1–24Google Scholar
- 7.Perrault, C., Grosz, B.: Natural Language Interfaces. Exploring Articial Intelligence, 133–172 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Fuhr, N., Lalmas, M., Malik, S., Szlàvik, Z. (eds.): Advances in XML Information Retrieval. Third Workshop of the Initiative for the Evaluation of XML retrieval (INEX). LNCS, vol. 3493. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Trotman, A., Sigurbjörnsson, B.: Narrowed Extended XPath I (NEXI). Google Scholar
- 10.Tannier, X., Girardot, J.J., Mathieu, M.: Analysing Natural Language Queries at INEX 2004, , pp. 395–409 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Geva, S.: GPX - Gardens Point XML Information Retrieval at INEX 2004. Google Scholar