Graph Embedding to Improve Supervised Classification and Novel Class Detection: Application to Prostate Cancer
Recently there has been a great deal of interest in algorithms for constructing low-dimensional feature-space embeddings of high dimensional data sets in order to visualize inter- and intra-class relationships. In this paper we present a novel application of graph embedding in improving the accuracy of supervised classification schemes, especially in cases where object class labels cannot be reliably ascertained. By refining the initial training set of class labels we seek to improve the prior class distributions and thus classification accuracy. We also present a novel way of visualizing the class embeddings which makes it easy to appreciate inter-class relationships and to infer the presence of new classes which were not part of the original classification. We demonstrate the utility of the method in detecting prostatic adenocarcinoma from high-resolution MRI.
KeywordsProstatic Adenocarcinoma Class Cluster Outlier Removal Tumor Class Graph Embed
- 2.Iwata, T., Saito, K., et al.: Parametric Embedding for Class Visualization. In: NIPS (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Globerson, A., Chechik, G.: Euclidean Embedding of Co-occurrence Data. NIPS (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhong, H., Shi, J., Visontai, M.: Detecting Unusual Activity in Video. CVPR (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Madabhushi, A., Feldman, M., Metaxas, D., Tomaszeweski, J., Chute, D.: Automated Detection of Prostatic Adenocarcinoma from High Resolution in vitro prostate MR studies. IEEE Trans. Med. Imag. (accepted)Google Scholar
- 7.Joliffe, T.: Principal Component Analysis. Springer, Heidelberg (1986)Google Scholar