Relax-and-Cut for Capacitated Network Design
We present an evaluation of a Lagrangean-based branch-and-bound algorithm with additional valid inequalities for the capacitated network design problem. The focus is on two types of valid inequalities, the cover inequalities and local cuts. We show how these inequalities can be considered in a Lagrangean relaxation without destroying the computationally simple structure of the subproblems. We present an extensive computational study on a large set of benchmark data. The results show that the presented algorithm outperforms many other exact and heuristical solvers in terms of running time and solution quality.
KeywordsNetwork Design Lagrangian Relaxation Valid Inequality Network Design Problem Bundle Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BMM97]Balakrishnan, A., Magnanti, T., Mirchandani, P.: Network design. In: Annotated Bibliographies in Combinatorial Optimization, pp. 311–334 (1997)Google Scholar
- [CCG03]Chouman, M., Crainic, T.G., Gendron, B.: A cutting-plane algorithm based on cutset inequalities for multicommodity capacitated fixed charge network design. Technical report, Centre for Research on Transportation, Montreal, Canada (2003)Google Scholar
- [Fra97]Frangioni, A.: Dual Ascent Methods and Multicommodity Flow Problems. PhD thesis, Dipartimento di Informatica, Università di Pisa (1997)Google Scholar
- [GC94]Gendron, B., Crainic, T.G.: Relaxations for multicommodity capacitated network design problems. Technical report, Center for Research on Transportation, Montreal, Canada (1994)Google Scholar
- [Luc92]Lucena, A.: Steiner problem in graphs: Lagrangian relaxation and cutting planes. In: COAL Bulletin, vol. 21, pp. 2–8. Mathematical Programming Society (1992)Google Scholar
- [RG05]Ralphs, T., Galati, M.: Decomposition and dynamic cut generation in integer programming. Technical report, Lehigh University, PA (2005); To appear in Mathematical ProgrammingGoogle Scholar
- [SKK02b]Sellmann, M., Kliewer, G., Koberstein, A.: Lagrangian cardinality cuts and variable fixing for capacitated network design. Technical report tr-ri-02-234, University of Paderborn (2002)Google Scholar