A Key Pre-distribution Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks: Merging Blocks in Combinatorial Design
In this paper, combinatorial design followed by a probabilistic merging is applied to key pre-distribution in sensor nodes. A transversal design is used to construct a (v, b, r, k) configuration and then randomly chosen blocks are merged to form sensor nodes. We present detailed mathematical analysis of the number of nodes, number of keys per node and the probability that a link gets affected if certain number of nodes are compromised. The technique is tunable to user requirements and it also compares favourably with state of the art design strategies. An important feature of our design is the presence of more number of common keys between any two nodes.
KeywordsCombinatorial Design Sensor Network Key Pre-distribution Random Merging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Camtepe, S.A., Yener, B.: Combinatorial design of key distribution mechanisms for wireless sensor networks. In: Eurosics 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Chan, H., Perrig, A., Song, D.: Random key predistribution schemes for sensor networks. In: IEEE Symposium on Research in Security and Privacy, pp. 197–213 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Du, W., Ding, J., Han, Y.S., Varshney, P.K.: A pairwise key pre-distribution scheme for wireles sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 10th ACM conference on Computer and Communications Security, ACM CCS 2003, pp. 42–51 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.B.: A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM conference on Computer and Communications Security, ACM CCS 2002, pp. 41–47 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Kahn, J.M., Katz, R.H., Pister, K.S.J.: Next century challenges: Mobile networking for smart dust. In: Proceedings of the 5th annual ACM/IEEE international conference on mobile computing and networking, pp. 483–492 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Lee, J., Stinson, D.: A combinatorial approach to key predistribution for distributed sensor networks. In: IEEE Wireless Computing and Networking Conference (WCNC 2005), March 13-17, New Orleans, LA, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, D., Ning, P.: Establishing pairwise keys in distributed sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 10th ACM conference on Computer and Communications Security, ACM CCS 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Stinson, D.: Cryptography: Theory and Practice, 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall, CRC Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Stinson, D.R.: Combinatorial Designs: Constructions and Analysis. Springer, New York (2003)Google Scholar