Tasks Mapping with Quality of Service for Coarse Grain Parallel Applications
- 566 Downloads
Clusters and computational grids are opened environments on which a great number of different users can submit computational requests. Some privileged users may have strong Quality of Service requirements whereas others may be less demanding. Common mapping algorithms are not well suited to guarantee a defined quality of service, they propose at best priority systems in order to favour some applications without any guaranty. We propose a new mapping algorithm, dealing with the notion of quality of service for scheduling applications over clusters and grids over different classes of service.
This algorithm uses information on the application to map, all the unfinished applications previously mapped, the state of the execution support, and the processor access model (round robin model) to suggest a mapping which guarantees all the expressed constraints. The mapping decision is taken on-line based on the release date of all applications and the memory space used. To finish, the validation of the algorithm is performed with real log files entries simulated with Simgrid.
Keywordsscheduling quality of service resource manager grid clusters
- 1.Smith, W., Foster, I., Taylor Scheduling, V.: with advanced reservations. In: Proceeding of the IPDPS Conference (May 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Feitelson, D.G., Jette, M.A.: Improved utilization and responsiveness with gang scheduling. In: Proceeding JSSPP 1997,Job scheduling strategies for parallel processing, IPPS 1997 workshop, Geneva, Switerlang, pp. 238–261 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Zotkin, D., Keleher Job-length, P.J.: Estimation and performance in backfilling schedulers. In: 8th Intl Symp. High Performance Distributed Comput (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Bacquet, P., Brun, O., Garcia, J.M., Monteil, T., Pascal, P., Richard, S.: Telecommunication network modeling and planning tool on ASP clusters. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS 2003) Melbourne, Australia, June 2-4 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Takefusa, A., Matsuoka, S., Casanova, H., Berman, F.: A study of deadline scheduling for client-server systems on the computational grid. In: Proceedings of the Tenth IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC10) San Francisco, California, August 7-9 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Buyya, R.: Economic-based distributed resource management and scheduling for grid computing. Thesis (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Casanova, H., Legrand, A.: L. Marchal Scheduling Distributed Applications: the SimGrid Simulation Framework. In: Proceedings of the third IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Kingsbury, B.: The network queuing system , May 16 (1998), http://pom.ucsf.edu/srp/batch/sterling/READMEFIRST.txt