New Segmentation Algorithm for Individual Offline Handwritten Character Segmentation
Handwritten character recognition has been an intensive research for last decade. A handwritten character recognition fuzzy system with an automatically generated rule base possesses the features of flexibility, efficiency and online adaptability. A major requirement of such a fuzzy system for either online or offline handwritten character recognition is, the segmentation of individual characters into meaningful segments. Then these segments can be used for the calculation of fuzzy features and the recognition process. This paper describes a new segmentation algorithm for offline handwritten character segmentation, which segments the individual handwritten character skeletons into meaningful segments. Therefore, this algorithm is a good candidate for an offline handwritten character recognition fuzzy system.
KeywordsSegmentation Algorithm Character Recognition Character Segmentation Handwritten Character Adjacent Neighbor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alessandro, L., Koerich, Y.: Leydier: A Hybrid Large Vocabulary Word Recognition System using Neural Networks with Hidden Markov Models. In: IWFHR (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Bandara, G.E.M.D.C., Pathirana, S.D., Ranawana, R.M.: Use of Fuzzy Feature Descriptions to Recognize Handwritten Alphanumeric Characters. In: Proceedings of 1st Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, Singapore, pp. 269–274 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Bandara, G.E.M.D.C., Ranawana, R.M., Pathirana, S.D.: Use of Fuzzy Feature Descriptions to Recognize Alphanumeric Characters. In: Halgamuge, S., Wang, L. (eds.) Classification and Clustering for Knowledge Discovery, pp. 205–230. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Guyon, I.: Applications of Neural Networks to Character Recognition. Character and Handwriting Recognition. In: Wang, P.S.P. (ed.) Expanding frontiers, pp. 353–382. World Scientific, Singapore (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, L., Wan, G., Liu, C.: An Improved Parallel Thinning Algorithm. In: Proceedings of Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 780–783 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Malaviya, A., Peters, L.: Handwriting Recognition with Fuzzy Linguistic Rules. In: Proceedings of Third European Congress on Intelligent Techniques and Soft Computing. Aachen, pp. 1430–1434 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Singh, S., Amin, A.: Fuzzy Recognition of Chinese Characters. In: Proceedings of Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference, Dublin, pp. 219–227 (1999)Google Scholar