Using Web Based Answer Hunting System to Promote Collaborative Learning
In this paper, we share our pedagogical experience to motivate and facilitate an interactive and collaborative learning atmosphere by using an answer hunting system. In the software engineering practice course we are teaching, a problem that may deteriorate the learning quality is that, the students lack the opportunities of communication and discussion with the instructor both in class and out of class since they do not have many common time slots. Therefore, a web based answer hunting system is carefully designed and built to facilitate the communications between the students and instructor, and among the students. This system is designed based on the Q&A competition metaphor. The students are encouraged to participate in the competition to learn more knowledge, share more knowledge, and earn more participation marks.
KeywordsQ&A Q&A Competition Answer Hunting System Web Based Learning Web Forum Computer Education Human Communication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liu, H., Hu, X., Zhang, X.: Human Communication and Interaction in Web Based Learning: a Case Study of the Digital Media Web Course. In: Proc. of International Conference on Computers in Education, pp. 217–221 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Helic, D., Maurer, H., Scerbakov, N.: Combining Individual Tutoring with Automatic Course Sequencing in WBT Systems. In: Proc. of WWW 2004, pp. 456–457 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Xiang, P., Shi, Y., Qin, W., Xiang, X.: CUBES: Providing Flexible Learning Environment for Virtual Universities. In: Proc. of International Conference of Web based Learning 2004, pp. 51–58 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Google Answers, http://answer.google.com
- 5.Sina iAsk, http://iask.sina.com.cn
- 6.SmartIPB, http://www.smartipb.com