A Novel Mobile Learning Assistant System
The growth of wireless networking and the maturing of online learning have created an environment in which students are mobile and leaning is no longer tethered to the classroom or the laboratory. We have developed a mobile learning platform, which supports multi-media courses delivery and has applied in Network Education College of Shanghai Jiaotong University. Based on the platform, this paper mainly proposes an assistant system to solve the learning status monitoring issue which is becoming a challenge of learning effect control in mobile learning. This assistant system can enable teachers to monitor the students’ mobile phone screen synchronously thus know the learning state of the students, and it also supports real time interaction with the students by instant messages. Meanwhile, the students can view the status of other online peers, interact with each other and ask for remote assistance by sharing their own screens to those willing to help.
KeywordsMobile Phone Assistant System Mobile Learning Upload Bandwidth Online Student
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alexander, B.: Going Nomadic: Mobile Learning in Higher Education. EDUCAUSE Review 39(5), 28–35 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Vavoula, G.N., Lefrere, P., O’Malley, C., Sharples, M., Taylor, J.: Producing guidelines for learning, teaching and tutoring in a mobile environment. In: Proceedings of the The 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies in Education (WMTE 2004) (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Yoshida, K., Matsumoto, K., Nakada, K., Akutsu, T., Fujii, S., Ichimura, H.: A Trial of a Bidirectional Learning Management Tool for Promoting Learning by Mobile Phone. In: Palade, V., Howlett, R.J., Jain, L. (eds.) KES 2003. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 2774, pp. 756–763. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Arrigo, M., Chiappone, G.: mCLT: an application for collaborative learning on a mobile telephone, http://www.mobilearn.org/mlearn2004/
- 5.Corlett, D., Sharples, M., Chan, T., Bull, S.: A Mobile Learning Organiser for University Students. In: Proceedings of the The 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies in Education (WMTE 2004) (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Series 60 SDK Help for Symbian OS Google Scholar