Variables in Concept Graphs
A main feature of many logics used in computer science is a means to express quantification. Usually, syntactical devices like variables and quantifiers are used for this purpose. In contrast to that, in conceptual graphs, a single syntactical item, the generic marker ‘*’ is used. Nonetheless, sometimes conceptual graphs with variables have to be considered. If the generic marker is replaced by variables, it has to be investigated how this syntactical difference is reflected by the semantics and transformation rules for conceptual graphs. In this paper, this task is carried out for the system of concept graph with cuts (CGwCs). Two different classes of CGwCs with variables are introduced, and for both, a semantics and an adequate calculus for CGwCs is provided.
KeywordsGeneric Marker Transformation Rule Conceptual Graph Married Person Fresh Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baget, J.F.: Homomorphismes d’hypergraphes pour la subsumption en RDF/RDFS. RSTI L’objet. In: LMO 2004, pp. 203–216 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Dau, F.: RDF as Graph-Based Diagrammatic Reasoning System: Syntax, Semantics, Calculus. Submitted to the 2nd European Semantic Web ConferenceGoogle Scholar
- 5.Dau, F.: Rhetorical Structures in Diagrammatic Reasoning Systems. Submitted to the symposium on Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing 2005Google Scholar
- 6.Hayes, P.: RDF Semantics: W3C Recommendation, February 10 (2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
- 8.Klinger, J.: The Logic System of Protoconcept Graphs. PhD-thesis (to appear)Google Scholar
- 9.Manola, F., Miller, E.: RDF Primer, http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/
- 10.Peirce, C.S.: Collected Papers. Harvard University Press, Cambridge (1931–1935)Google Scholar
- 12.Sowa, J.F.: Conceptual Graphs Summary. In: Nagle, T.E., Nagle, J.A., Gerholz, L.L., Eklund, P.W. (eds.) Conceptual Structures: current research and practice, pp. 3–51. Ellis Horwood (1992)Google Scholar
- 13.Sowa, J.F.: Logic: Graphical and Algebraic, Manuscript, Croton-on-Hudson (1997)Google Scholar