Concept Mining for Indexing Medical Literature
This article addresses the task of mining concepts from biomedical literature to index and search through this documents base. This research takes place within the Telemakus project, which has for goal to support and facilitate the knowledge discovery process by providing retrieval, visual, and interaction tools to mine and map research findings from research literature in the field of aging. A concept mining component automating research findings extraction such as the one presented here, would permit Telemakus to be efficiently applied to other domains. The main principle that has been followed in this project has been to mine from the legends of the documents the research findings as relationships between concepts from the medical literature. The concept mining proceeds through stages of syntactic analysis, semantic analysis, relationships building, and ranking.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Friedman, C., Kra, P., Yu, H., Krauthammer, M., Rzhetsky, A.: GENIES: a natural-language processing system for the extraction of molecular pathways from journal articles. Bioinformatics 17(suppl. 1), S74–S82 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Hand, D., Mannila, H., Smyth, P.: Principles of data mining. MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Hearst, M.A.: Untangling Text Data Mining. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, University of Maryland, pp. 3–10 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Jiawei, H., Micheline, K.: Data mining concepts and techniques, 1st edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Nasukawa, T., Nagano, T.: Text Analysis and Knowledge Mining System. Knowledge management Special Issue. IBM systems journal 40, 967–984 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.National Library of Medicine: MetaMap Transfer (MMTx) (2005), http://mmtx.nlm.nih.gov [Last access: 2005-04-01]
- 11.National Library of Medicine: The Specialist NLP Tools (2004), http://specialist.nlm.nih.gov [Last access: 2005-04-01]
- 12.National Library of Medicine: The Unified Medical Language System (2005), http://umls.nlm.nih.gov [Last access: 2005-04-01]
- 15.Telemakus project team: Mining and Mapping Research Findings to Promote Knowledge Discovery (2001), http://www.telemakus.net/papers.html [Last access: 2005-04-01]