Band Edge Electronic Structure of Transition Metal/Rare Earth Oxide Dielectrics
This Chapter discusses band edge electronic structure of 1. nanocrystalline elemental and complex oxide high-k dielectrics, and 2. non-crystalline Zr and Hf silicates, and Si oxynitride alloys. Experimental approaches include X-ray absorption spectroscopy, photoconductivity, and visible/vacuum ultra-violet and spectroscopic ellipsomentry. These measurements are complemented by Fourier transform infra-red absorption, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, high-resolution transmission electron microscopy, and X-ray diffraction. Three issues are highlighted: Jahn–Teller term splittings that remove band edge d-state degeneracies in nanocrystalline films, intrinsic bonding defects in ZrO2 and HfO2, and chemical phase separation and crystallinity in Zr and Hf silicate and Si oxynitride alloys.
Keywords71.55.-i; 72.80.Sk; 73.20.At; 75.47.Lx; 77.55.+f
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Lucovsky, C. C. Fulton, Y. Zhang, Y. Zou, J. Luning, L. F. Edge, J. L. Whitten, R. J. Nemanich, H. Ade, D. G. Schlom, V. V. Afanas'ev, A. Stesmans, S. Zollner, D. Triyoso, B. R. Rogers: Conduction band-edge states associated with the removal of -state degeneracies by the Jahn–Teller effect, IEEE Trans. Mat. Dev. Rel. 5, 65 (2005) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- S. Zollner, D. Tyrioso, B. R. Rogers, S. Zollner: unpublished Google Scholar
- F. A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson: Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, 3 ed. (Wiley Interscience, New York 1972) Chap. 20 Google Scholar
- W. A. Harrision: Elementary Electronic Structure (World Scientific Publishing, Singapore 1999) , back-cover table Google Scholar
- P. A. Cox: Transition Metal Oxides (Oxford Science Publications, Oxford 1992) Chap. 2 Google Scholar
- P. Boolchand: Phase Transitions and Self-Organization in Electronic and Molecular Networks (Kluwer Academic, New York 2001) p. 65 Google Scholar
- J. Byunsun: Spectroscopic Study of the Interface Chemical and Electronic Properties of High-κGate Stacks, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, North Carolina State University (2005) Google Scholar