On the Inefficiency of Equilibria in Congestion Games
We present a short geometric proof for the price of anarchy results that have recently been established in a series of papers on selfish routing in multicommodity flow networks. This novel proof also facilitates two new types of results: On the one hand, we give pseudo-approximation results that depend on the class of allowable cost functions. On the other hand, we derive improved bounds on the inefficiency of Nash equilibria for situations in which the equilibrium travel times are within reasonable limits of the free-flow travel times. These tighter bounds help to explain empirical observations in vehicular traffic networks. Our analysis holds in the more general context of congestion games, which provides the framework in which we describe this work.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beckmann, M.J., Mcguire, C.B., Winsten, C.B.: Studies in the Economics of Transportation. Yale University Press, New Haven (1956)Google Scholar
- Bureau of Public Roads: Traffic assignment manual. U.S. Department of Commerce, Urban Planning Division, Washington, DC (1964)Google Scholar
- Chakrabarty, D.: Improved bicriteria results for the selfish routing problem (2004) (Manuscript)Google Scholar
- Jahn, O., Möhring, R.H., Schulz, A.S., Stier-Moses, N.E.: System-optimal routing of traffic flows with user constraints in networks with congestion. Operations Research (2005) (to appear)Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou, C.H.: Algorithms, games, and the internet. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC), Hersonissos, Greece, pp. 749–753. ACM Press, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- Qiu, L., Yang, Y.R., Zhang, Y., Shenker, S.: On selfish routing in internet-like environments. In: Proceedings of the 2003 Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communications (SIGCOMM), Karlsruhe, Germany, pp. 151–162. ACM Press, New York (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roughgarden, T.: Selfish routing with atomic players. In: Proceedings of the 16th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Vancouver, Canada, pp. 973–974. SIAM, Philadelphia (2005)Google Scholar
- Schulz, A.S., Stier-Moses, N.E.: On the performance of user equilibria in traffic networks. In: Proceedings of the 14th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Baltimore, MD, pp. 86–87. SIAM, Philadelphia (2003)Google Scholar
- Smith, M.J.: The existence, uniqueness and stability of traffic equilibria. Transportation Research 13B, 295–304 (1979)Google Scholar
- Wardrop, J.G.: Some theoretical aspects of road traffic research. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Part II 1, 325–378 (1952)Google Scholar