An Ontological Approach to the Document Access Problem of Insider Threat
Verification of legitimate access of documents, which is one aspect of the umbrella of problems in the Insider Threat category, is a challenging problem. This paper describes the research and prototyping of a system that takes an ontological approach, and is primarily targeted for use by the intelligence community. Our approach utilizes the notion of semantic associations and their discovery among a collection of heterogeneous documents. We highlight our contributions in (graphically) capturing the scope of the investigation assignment of an intelligence analyst by referring to classes and relationships of an ontology; in computing a measure of the relevance of documents accessed by an analyst with respect to his/her assignment; and by describing the components of our system that have provided early yet promising results, and which will be further evaluated more extensively based on domain experts and sponsor inputs.
KeywordsResource Description Framework Semantic Annotation Semantic Association Entity Class Ontological Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aleman-Meza, B., Halaschek, C., Arpinar, I.B., Sheth, A.: Context-Aware Semantic Association Ranking. In: Proceedings of Semantic Web and Databases Workshop, Berlin, September 7-8, pp. 33–50 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Aleman-Meza, B., Halaschek, C., Sheth, A., Arpinar, I.B., Sannapareddy, G.: SWETO: Large-Scale Semantic Web Test-bed. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2004): Workshop on Ontology in Action, Banff, Canada, June 21-24, pp. 490–493 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Anyanwu, K., Sheth, A.: ρ-Queries: Enabling Querying for Semantic Associations on the Semantic Web The Twelfth International World Wide Web Conference, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 690–699 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Rocha, C., Schwabe, D., Aragao, M.P.: A Hybrid Approach for Searching in the Semantic Web. In: Proceedings of the 13th International World Wide Web, Conference, New York, May 2004, pp. 374–383 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Sheth, A., Aleman-Meza, B., Arpinar, I.B., Halaschek, C., Ramakrishnan, C., Bertram, C., Warke, Y., Avant, D., Arpinar, F.S., Anyanwu, K., Kochut, K.: Semantic Association Identification and Knowledge Discovery for National Security Applications. Journal of Database Management 16(1), 33–53 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar