On Algorithm for Efficiently Combining Two Independent Measures in Routing Paths
- 966 Downloads
This paper investigates the routing efficiency problem with quality of service (QoS). A solution to this problem is needed to provide real-time communication service to connection-oriented applications, such as video and voice transmissions. We propose a new weight parameter by efficiently combining two independent measures, the cost and the delay. The weight ω plays on important role in combining the two measures. If the ω approaches 0, then the path delay is low. Otherwise the path cost is low. Therefore if we decide an ω, we then find the efficient routing path. A case study shows various routing paths for each ω. We also use simulations to show the variety of paths for each ω. When network users have various QoS requirements, the proposed weight parameter is very informative.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Calvert, K.L., Doar, M.: Modelling Internet Topology. IEEE Communications Magazine, 160–163 (June 1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Doar, M.: Multicast in the ATM environment. PhD thesis, Cambridge Univ., Computer Lab. (September 1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Doar, M.: A Better Mode for Generating Test Networks. In: IEEE Proc. GLOBECOM 1996, pp. 86–93 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, M., Bang, Y.-C., Choo, H.: Estimated Link Selection for DCLC Problem. In: IEEE ICC 2004, June 2004, vol. 4, pp. 1937–1941 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, R., Raghavan, P., Rajagopalan, S., Sivakumar, D., Tomkins, A., Upfal, E.: Stochastic models for the Web graph. In: Proc. 41st Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 57–65 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Papoulis, A., Pillai, S.U.: Probability, Random Variables, and Stochastic Processes, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Toh, C.-K.: Performance Evaluation of Crossover Switch Discovery Algorithms for Wireless ATM LANs. In: IEEE Proc. INFOCOM 1996, pp. 1380–1387 (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Waxman, B.M.: Routing of Multipoint Connections. IEEE JSAC 9, 1617–1622 (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Widyono, R.: The Design and Evaluation of Routing Algorithms for Real-Time Channels. In: International Computer Science Institute, Univ. of California at Berkeley, Tech. Rep. ICSI TR-94-024 (June 1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Zegura, E.W., Calvert, K.L., Bhattacharjee, S.: How to model an Internetwork. In: Proc. INFOVCOM 1996, pp. 594–602 (1996)Google Scholar