User-Guided 3D Su-Muk Painting
We present a technique for rendering animated 3D models in a Su-Muk painting style with user’s guide. First, a user can sketch directly over 3D models by varying ink and water values. And we simulate the behavior of ink-water directly on 3D model for consistent shade information over 3D models. After simulation, ink and water are spread over a 3D surface appropriately. Second, to achieve a real hand-crafted look of Su-Muk painting, ink-water behavior is simulated again on a 2D screen by using overall ink-water shade information from previous output of 3D ink-water simulation. We demonstrate some images for Su-Muk painting with our user-guided drawing system.
KeywordsCellular Automaton Water Particle Brush Stroke Chinese Painting Drawing Situation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Strassmann, S.: Hairy Brush. In: Proceeding of SIGGRAPH, pp. 225–232 (1986)Google Scholar
- 2.Pham, B.: Expressive Brush Strokes. Graphical Model and Image Processing (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, J.: Diffusion rendering of black ink painting using new paper and ink models. Computers & Graphics, 295–308 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Chan, C., Akleman, E., Chen, J.: Two Methods for Creating Chinese Painting. Pacific Graphics (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, Q., Sato, Y., Takahashi, J., Muraoka, K., Chiba, N.: imple Cellular Automaton-based Simulation of Ink Behaviour and Its Application to Suibokuga-like 3D Rendering of Trees. The Journal of Visualization and Computer Animation, 27–37 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Baxter, B., Scheib, V., Lin, M.C., Manocha, D.: DAB: Interactive Haptic Painting with 3D Virtual Brushes. In: Proceeding of SIGGRAPH (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Wong, H.T.F., Ip, H.H.S.: Virtual brush: a model-based synthesis of Chinese calligraphy. Computers & Graphics, 99–113 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, S., Lau, F.C.M., Tang, F., Pan, Y.: Advanced Design for a Realistic Virtual Brush. In: Proceeding of EUROGRAPHICS (2003)Google Scholar