Advertisement

The Post-War Campus 1945–1980

Chapter
Part of the The Campus Guide book series (CAMPUSGUIDE)

Abstract

The brief presidency of Donald Tresidder (1943–1948) profoundly affected Stanford’s architectural character and direction after World War II. In 1944, Lewis Mumford, one of America’s foremost critics of modern culture, architecture, and urban planning, was hired as professor of humanities within Stanford’s newly organized school of humanities, a position he occupied until 1945. (Mumford was introduced to the dean of the school by Paul Hanna, who had commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design the Hanna “Honeycomb” house in 1936.) Following Mumford’s recommendation, Tresidder established the first university planning office. He named as its director (on a part-time basis of 80 hours a month) Eldridge T. Spencer, a Beaux Arts-trained San Francisco architect. Shortly after leaving Stanford, Mumford was invited to review the progress of the planning office and to draw up proposals for developing a master plan, including recommendations for its architectural character.

Keywords

Master Plan Industrial Park Green Belt Landscape Architect Modern Architecture 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Part Four

  1. Doty, Andy. “Stanford and Palo Alto After World War II.” Sandstone and Tile 18, no. 2 (Spring 1994): 13–15.Google Scholar
  2. Dupen, Douglas W. The Story of Stanford’s Two-Mile Long Accelerator. Menlo Park, CA: Stanford Linear Accelerator, 1966.Google Scholar
  3. “Exercise in Patterned Symmetry.” Western Architect and Engineer 218, no. 6 (December 1959): 15–21.Google Scholar
  4. Findlay, John M. Magic Lands: Western Cityscapes and American Culture After 1940. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1992.Google Scholar
  5. Lerabke, Daryl. “Stanford Fuses Building and Academic Program.” Los Angeles Times. October 21, 1963.Google Scholar
  6. McAndrews, Rosemary. “The Birthplace of Silicon Valley.” Sandstone and Tile 19, nos. 1–2 (Spring 1995): 3–11.Google Scholar
  7. “Mumford Envisions Streamlined Farm.” Stanford Daily 3, no. 15 (February 28, 1947)Google Scholar
  8. “New Architectural Plans for Campus Depicted in Stanford Builds Exhibit.” Stanford Alumni Review 49 (July 1948): 5–7.Google Scholar
  9. Press, Harry and Roxanne Nilan. “Donald B. Tresidder: The Students’ President.” Sandstone and Tile 15, no. 2 (Spring 1991): 3–9.Google Scholar
  10. Pryor, Helen B. Lou Henry Hoover. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1969.Google Scholar
  11. “Snap Shots of Hoover House.” San Jose Mercury Herald (November 7, 1928).Google Scholar
  12. Stone, Edward Durell. “Modern Architecture on the Campus.” Stanford Review 62 (November 1960): 12–14.Google Scholar
  13. Temko, Allan. “Engineering and the Question of Beauty.” San Francisco Chronicle (October 19, 1966).Google Scholar
  14. Temko, Allan. “Finding Form Once Again on the Farm.” San Francisco Chronicle. February 20, 1978.Google Scholar
  15. “The Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences: Wurster, Bernardi and Emmons, Architects.” Arts and Architecture 72, no. 2 (February 1955): 13–15.Google Scholar
  16. “Stanford’s $20 Million.” San Francisco Examiner (December 2, 1966): 13.Google Scholar
  17. “West Coast Microwave Laboratory for General Electric.” Architectural Record 118 (September 1955): 206–209.Google Scholar
  18. Winslow, Ward. “Tall Trees: The Palo Alto-Stanford Connection.” Sandstone and Tile 18, no. 2 (Spring 1994): 3–12.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Richard Joncas, David J. Neuman, and Paul V. Turner 2006

Personalised recommendations