Into the Next Millenium: 2001–2005
At the beginning of the new century, Stanford was completing a cycle of restoration and renewal of many of its historic structures, most of which had been damaged severely by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. With the opening of Wallenberg Hall (Building 160), located along the front of the Main Quad, Stanford not only finished the massive, decade-long effort to refurbish its historic academic core, but also demonstrated how a hundred-year-old structure could be recycled for its fourth major reuse: since its completion in 1900, the building had been transformed from a library to a law school to the political science department, and now serves as a digital learning center. As this period of recovery neared completion (with only six unreinforced masonry structures now remaining to be strengthened), in 1999, Stanford was recognized with the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award and in 2000 received the National Preservation Honor Award. In addition to its restoration efforts, the university also continued to focus its attention on expanding its campus, and major land use planning efforts were underway in order to allow the university to develop further.
KeywordsLandscape Architect Campus Drive Santa Clara County Political Science Department Parking Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.