Part of the Advances in Information Security book series (ADIS, volume 12)
Privacy, Economics, and Price Discrimination on the Internet
KeywordsInformation Security Dynamic Price Price Discrimination Differential Price Digital Right Management
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albrecht, K. (2003). CASPIAN: Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering, Web site, http://www.nocards.org.
- Anderson, R. (2003). “Cryptology and competition policy-Issues with ‘Trusted Computing”’. Available at http://www.cpppe.umd.edu/rhsmith3/agenda.htm.
- Barrionuevo, A. (2000). “Secret formulas set the prices for gasoline,” Wall Street J., March 20.Google Scholar
- Bayers, C. (2000). “Capitalist Econstruction,” Wired, March. Available at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.03/markets.html.
- Binkley, A. (2000). “Casino chain mines data on gamblers, and strikes pay dirt with low-rollers,” Wall Street J., May 4.Google Scholar
- Brin, D. (1998). The Transparent Society. Perseus Publishing.Google Scholar
- Chandler, Jr., A. (1965). The Railroads, the Nation’s First Big Business: Sources and Readings. Harcourt, Brace, & World.Google Scholar
- Corts, K. S. (1996). “On the competitive effects of price-matching policies,” Intern. J. Industrial Organization, vol. 15, pp. 283–299.Google Scholar
- Cowell, A. (2000). “Service slips, fares baffle on British trains,” New York Times, May 28.Google Scholar
- DeLong, J. B. and Froomkin, A. M. (2000). “Speculative microeconomics for tomorrow’s economy,” in Internet Publishing and Beyond: The Economics of Digital Information and Intellectual Property, Kahin, B. and Varian, H. R., eds., MIT Press, pp. 6–44. A 1997 draft, entitled “The next economy?”, is available at http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/newecon.htm.
- Deneckere, R. J. and McAfee, R. P. (1996). “Damaged goods,” J. Economics and Management Strategy, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 149–174.Google Scholar
- Ekelund, R. B. (1970). “Price discrimination and product differentiation in economic theory: an early analysis,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 84, pp. 268–278.Google Scholar
- Fishburn, P. C., Odlyzko, A. M., and Siders, R. C. (1997). “Fixed fee versus unit pricing for information goods: competition, equilibria, and price wars,” First Monday, vol. 2, no. 7, http://www.firstmonday.org/.
- Galt, W. (1844). Railway Reform: Its Expediency and Practicality Considered. With a Copious Appendix, ..., Pelham Richardson, 3rd ed.Google Scholar
- Garfinkel, S. (2000). Database Nation: The Death of Privacy in the 21st Century. O’Reilly & Associates.Google Scholar
- Gordon, J. S. (2000). “The golden spike,” Forbes ASAP, February 21. Available at http://www.forbes.com/asap/2000/0221/118.html.
- Hadley, A. T. (1885). Railroad Transportation: Its History and its Laws. G. P. Putnam’s Sons.Google Scholar
- Huber, P. (1993). “Two cheers for price discrimination,” Forbes, September 27. Available at http://www.phuber.com/huber/forbes/092793.html.
- Kolko, G. (1965). Railroads and Regulation, 1877–1916. Princeton Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- Lester, T. (2001). “The reinvention of privacy,” The Atlantic Monthly, vol. 287, no. 3, March, pp. 27–39. Available at http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/03/lester-p1.htm.Google Scholar
- Levine, M. E. (2002). “Price discrimination without market power,” Yale Journal on Regulation, vol. 19, no. 1, Winter, pp. 1–36. Preliminary version available at http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/olin_center/papers/276_levine.htm.Google Scholar
- Locklin, D. P. (1972). Economics of Transportation. 7th ed., Richard D. Irwin.Google Scholar
- McWilliams, G. (2001). “Dell fine-tunes its PC pricing to gain an edge in slow market,” Wall Street J., June 8.Google Scholar
- Odlyzko, A. M. (1996). “The bumpy road of electronic commerce,” in WebNet 96-World Conf. Web Soc. Proc., H. Maurer, ed., AACE, pp. 378–389. Available at http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko.
- Odlyzko, A. M. (2003). “The case against micropayments,” in Financial Cryptography: 7th International Conference, FC 2003, R. N. Wright, ed., Springer, pp. 182–189. Available at http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko.
- Odlyzko, A. M. (2004a). “The Internet and 19th century railways,” in preparation.Google Scholar
- Odlyzko, A. M. (2004b). “Privacy, price discrimination, and the future of ecommerce,” in preparation.Google Scholar
- Odlyzko, A. M. (2004c). “Fairness and price discrimination on the Internet and on 19th century railroads,” in preparation.Google Scholar
- Parsons, F. (1906). The Heart of the Railroad Problem: The History of Railway Discrimination in the United States, the Chief Efforts at Control and the Remedies Proposed, with Hints from Other Countries. Little, Brown, and Company.Google Scholar
- Phlips, L. (1983). The Economics of Price Discrimination. Cambridge Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- Pigou, A. C. (1924). The Economics of Welfare, 2nd ed. Macmillan. First edition published in 1920.Google Scholar
- Sanders, B. (2000). “Letter to the editor,” Barron’s, February 28.Google Scholar
- Shabi, R. (2003). “The card up their sleeve,” The Guardian, July 19. Available at http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4714196,00.html.
- Shapiro, C. and Varian, H. (1998). Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Stevens, E. B., Baker, Wm. T., Pope, W. J., Stiles, J., and Dater, P.W. (1876). Report of Committee of Chicago Board of Trade on Railroad Discrimination, submitted February 7, 1876. Knight & Leonard.Google Scholar
- St. Pierre, N. (2001). “Railroads: Asleep at the switch: Lousy service is driving away freight customers,” Business Week, April 2.Google Scholar
- Varian, H. R. (1980). “A model of sales,” Am. Economic Review, vol. 70, pp. 651–659. Erratum on p. 517 of vol. 71 (1981).Google Scholar
- Varian, H. R. (1989). “Price discrimination,” in Handbook of Industrial Organization, R. Schmalensee and R. D. Willig, eds.. Elsevier, pp. 597–654.Google Scholar
- Varian, H. R. (1996). “Differential pricing and efficiency,” First Monday, vol. 1, no. 2, August, http://firstmonday.org/.
- Yudof, M. G. (2002). “Is the public research university dead?,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, Jan. 11. Available to subscribers at http://chronicle.com/weekly/v48/i18/18b02401.htm.
- Zajac, E. E. (1995). Political Economy of Fairness. MIT Press.Google Scholar
© Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2004