Direct Numerical Simulations of Bubbly Flows
The status of direct numerical simulations of bubbly flows is reviewd and a few recent results are presented. The development of numerical methods based on the one-field formulation has made it possible to follow the evolution of a large number of bubbles for a sufficiently long time so that converged statistics for the averaged properties of the flow can be obtained. In addition to extensive studies of homogeneous bubbly flows, recent investigations have helped give insight into drag reduction due to the injection of bubbles into turbulent flows and two-fluid modeling of laminar multiphase flows in channels.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.C. Crowe, M. Sommerfeld and Y. Tsuji, 1998, Multiphase Flows with Droplets and Particles, CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 9.D.A. Drew and S.L. Passman, 1999, Theory of Multicomponent Fluids, Springer.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Esmaeeli, E.A. Ervin and G. Tryggvason, 1994, Numerical simulations of rising bubbles, in Proceedings of the IUTAM Conference on Bubble Dynamics and Interfacial Phenomens, Birmingham, UK, 6–9 September 1993, J.R. Blake, J.M. Boulton-Stone and N.H. Thomas (eds), pp. 247–255.Google Scholar
- 14.M.F. Göz, B. Bunner, M. Sommerfeld and G. Tryggvason, 2000, EDSM2000-11151: The unsteady dynamics of two-dimensional bubbles in a regular array, in Proceedings of the ASME FEDSM’00 ASME 2000 Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, Boston, MA, June 11–15.Google Scholar
- 17.H. Kato, M. Miyanaga, H. Yamaguchi and M.M. Guin, 1995, Frictional drag reduction by injecting bubbly water into turbulent boundary layer and the effect of plate orientation, in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Multiphase Flow’ 95, ICMF95, Kyoto, pp. 31–38.Google Scholar
- 19.Y. Kodama, A. Kakugawa, T. Takahashi, S. Nagaya and K. Sugiyama, 2003, Microbubbles: Drag reduction and applicability to ships, in Twenty-Fourth Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 2003, Naval Studies Board (NSB). Available at: http://books.nap.edu/books/NI000511/html/Google Scholar
- 22.C.L. Merkle and S. Deutsch, 1990, Drag reduction in liquid boundary layers by gas injection, Progr. Astronautics Aeronautics 123), 351–412.Google Scholar