Multigrade lessons for EFA: a synthesis
- 996 Downloads
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexander, R. (2000) Culture and Pedagogy: International comparisons in primary education. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Ames Ramello, P.P. (2004) Multigrade schools in context: literacy in the community, the home and the school in the Peruvian Amazon. Unpublished PhD thesis. Institute of Education, University of London.Google Scholar
- Bernstein, B. (1971) Class, Codes and Control, Vol. 1: Theoretical studies towards a sociology of language. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.Google Scholar
- Bruner, J.S. (1996) The Culture of Education. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Colbert, V., Chiappe, C. and Arboleda, J. (1993) The New School Program: more and better primary education for children in rural areas in Colombia. In H.M. Levin and M.E. Lockheed (eds), Effective Schools in Developing Countries. London: Falmer Press.Google Scholar
- Collingwood, I. (1991) Multiclass Teaching in Primary Schools: A handbook for teachers in the Pacific. Apia, Western Samoa: UNESCO Office for the Pacific States.Google Scholar
- Dore, R.P. (1997) The Diploma Disease: Education, qualification and development, 2nd edition. London: Institute of Education, University of London.Google Scholar
- Ford, B.E (1977) Multiage grouping in the elementary school and children’s affective development: a review of recent research. The Elementary School Journal, November, 149-159.Google Scholar
- Ireson, J. and Hallam, S. (2001) Ability Grouping in Education. London: Paul Chapman Publishing.Google Scholar
- Jarousse, J.-P. and Mingat, A. (1991) Efficacité pédagogique de l enseignment à cours multiples dans le contexte africain. IREDU-CNRS: University of Dijon.Google Scholar
- Kalaoja, E. (2004) Multi-grade teaching and its innovation in Finland. Paper delivered at Second International Multigrade Teaching Conference: Turning biases into benefits. Armidale Centre for Research on Education in Context, University of New England.Google Scholar
- LATIMS (2003, 2004) unpublished reports of the work of the Learning and Teaching in Multigrade Settings Research Group, London.Google Scholar
- Laukkanen, R. and Selventoinen, P. (1978) Small Schools and Combined Grades in Finland. Paris: Centre for Educational Research and Innovation, OECD.Google Scholar
- Lewin, K.M. and Stuart, J. (2003) Researching Teacher Education: New perspectives on practice, performance and policy, London: Department for International Development.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W. (1990) Understanding Culture: A pre-condition for effective learning. A special study for the World Conference on Education for All. Jomtien, Thailand.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W. (1995) Multigrade Teaching: A review of research and practice. Serial no. 12, London: Overseas Development Administration.Google Scholar
- Little, A. W. (1999) Labouring to Learn: Towards a political economy of plantations, people and education in Sri Lanka. London and New York: Macmillan and St Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W. (2004) Learning and teaching in multigrade settings, Background Paper for the Global Monitoring Report. Available online: http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/file_download.php/548cfe4ac0864fcea666900c2144e4d1Little.doc (Accessed 10 March 2005).
- Little, A.W. and Wolf, A. (1996) Assessment in Transition: Learning, monitoring and selection in international perspective. Oxford: Pergamon.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W., Hoppers, W. and Gardner, R. (eds) (1994) Beyond Jomtien: Implementing Primary Education for All. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lok Jumbish, (1993) Learning Together. Stockholm: Swedish International Development Authority.Google Scholar
- Lungwangwa, G. (1989) Multigrade Schools in Zambian Primary Education. SIDA Education Division Documents no. 47. Stockholm: Swedish International Development Authority.Google Scholar
- Mason, D.A. and Burns, R.B. (1996) Teachers’ views of combination classes. Journal of Educational Research, 89 (1), 36–45.Google Scholar
- Miguel, M.M. and Basaga, E.B. (1997) Multi-grade schooling in the Philippines: a strategy for improving access to and quality of primary education. In D.W. Chapman, L.O. Mahlck and A.E.M. Smulders (eds) From Planning to Action: Government initiatives for improving school-level practice. Paris: Pergamon/UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Menon, L. and Rao, P. (2004) Multigrade for remote and disadvantaged schools. Paper delivered at Second International Multigrade Teaching Conference: Turning biases into benefits. Armidale Centre for Research on Education in Context, University of New England.Google Scholar
- Miller, B.A. (1991) A Review of the Qualitative Research on Multigrade Education. Journal of Research in Rural Education, 7 (2), 3–12.Google Scholar
- Padmanabha Rao, Y.A. (2005) Quality Schooling: enriching the commons. Paper delivered at the 8th UKFIET International Conferences on Education and Development, Oxford, 13-15 September, 2005.Google Scholar
- Pratt, D. (1986) On the merits of multiage classrooms. Research in Rural Education, 3 (3), 111–115.Google Scholar
- Pridmore, P. (2004) Education for All: the paradox of multigrade teaching. Paper delivered at Second international multigrade teaching conference: Turning biases into benefits. Armidale: Centre for Research on Education in Context, University of New England.Google Scholar
- Rishi Valley Education Centre (2000) Report of Second National Workshop on Planning and Implementation of Multigrade Programmes. Rishi Valley, Andhra Pradesh: Rishi Valley Education Centre, Krishnamurti Foundation India.Google Scholar
- Rojas, C. and Castillo, Z. (1988) Evaluación del programa Escuela Nueva en Colombia. Bogotá: Instituto ser de investigaciones.Google Scholar
- Rowley, S.D. (1992) Multigrade classrooms in Pakistan: how teacher conditions and practices affect student achievement. Unpublished PhD thesis: Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Rowley, S.D. and Nielsen, H.D. (1997) School and classroom organisation in the periphery: the assets of multigrade teaching’. In H.D. Nielsen and WK. Cummings (eds), Quality Education for All: Community oriented approaches. New York and London: Garland.Google Scholar
- Ross, A. (2000) Curriculum, Construction and Critique. London: Falmer.Google Scholar
- Shotton, J. (1998). Learning and Freedom: Policy, pedagogy and paradigms in Indian education and schooling. New Delhi: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sibli, M.P.M.M. and Cash, T. (2003) Multigrade Teacher Training Manual for ISAs. Colombo: National Institute of Education, Primary Mathematics Unit.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, T. (2004) ‘Multigrade teachers and their training in rural Nepal: practice and training’. Unpublished PhD thesis. Institute of Education, University of London.Google Scholar
- UNESCO/APEID (1989) Multigrade Teaching in Single-Teacher Primary Schools. Bangkok: Asia and the Pacific Programme of Educational Innovation for Development.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2002) Education for All: Is the world on track? Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2003) Gender and Education for All: The leap to equality. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2004) Education for All: The quality imperative. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Veenman, S. (1995) Cognitive and noncognitive effects of multigrade and multi-age classes: a best-evidence synthesis. Review of Educational Research, 65 (4), 319-381.Google Scholar
- Vithanapathirana, M. (2005) ‘Improving multigrade teaching: action research with teachers in rural Sri Lanka’. Unpublished PhD thesis. Institute of Education University of London.Google Scholar
- Vu, T.S., Pridmore, P., Nga, B.M.D. and Kick, P. (2002) Renovating the Teaching of Health in Multigrade Primary Schools: A teacher’s guide to health in natural and social sciences (Grades 1, 2 and 3) and Science (Grade 5). Hanoi: British Council and National Institute of Educational Sciences.Google Scholar
- Warwick, D. (1975) Curriculum Structure and Design. London: University of London Press.Google Scholar
- Internet sites www.hamilton-trust.org.uk (Accessed 11 October 2004).
- www.ioe.ac.uk/multigrade/teacher training materials.htm (Accessed 20 November 2004).
- www.norfolkesinet.org.uk (Accessed 7 June 2004).
- www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/literacy/publications/framework ‘additional guidance’ (Accessed 11 January 2004). www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/literacy (Accessed 6 June 2004).
- http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/file_download.php/548cfe4ac0864fcea666900 c2144e4d1Little.doc (Accessed 10 March 2005).
© Springer 2006