Multigrade lessons for EFA: a synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexander, R. (2000) Culture and Pedagogy: International comparisons in primary education. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Ames Ramello, P.P. (2004) Multigrade schools in context: literacy in the community, the home and the school in the Peruvian Amazon. Unpublished PhD thesis. Institute of Education, University of London.Google Scholar
- Bernstein, B. (1971) Class, Codes and Control, Vol. 1: Theoretical studies towards a sociology of language. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.Google Scholar
- Bruner, J.S. (1996) The Culture of Education. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Colbert, V., Chiappe, C. and Arboleda, J. (1993) The New School Program: more and better primary education for children in rural areas in Colombia. In H.M. Levin and M.E. Lockheed (eds), Effective Schools in Developing Countries. London: Falmer Press.Google Scholar
- Collingwood, I. (1991) Multiclass Teaching in Primary Schools: A handbook for teachers in the Pacific. Apia, Western Samoa: UNESCO Office for the Pacific States.Google Scholar
- Dore, R.P. (1997) The Diploma Disease: Education, qualification and development, 2nd edition. London: Institute of Education, University of London.Google Scholar
- Ford, B.E (1977) Multiage grouping in the elementary school and children’s affective development: a review of recent research. The Elementary School Journal, November, 149-159.Google Scholar
- Ireson, J. and Hallam, S. (2001) Ability Grouping in Education. London: Paul Chapman Publishing.Google Scholar
- Jarousse, J.-P. and Mingat, A. (1991) Efficacité pédagogique de l enseignment à cours multiples dans le contexte africain. IREDU-CNRS: University of Dijon.Google Scholar
- Kalaoja, E. (2004) Multi-grade teaching and its innovation in Finland. Paper delivered at Second International Multigrade Teaching Conference: Turning biases into benefits. Armidale Centre for Research on Education in Context, University of New England.Google Scholar
- LATIMS (2003, 2004) unpublished reports of the work of the Learning and Teaching in Multigrade Settings Research Group, London.Google Scholar
- Laukkanen, R. and Selventoinen, P. (1978) Small Schools and Combined Grades in Finland. Paris: Centre for Educational Research and Innovation, OECD.Google Scholar
- Lewin, K.M. and Stuart, J. (2003) Researching Teacher Education: New perspectives on practice, performance and policy, London: Department for International Development.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W. (1990) Understanding Culture: A pre-condition for effective learning. A special study for the World Conference on Education for All. Jomtien, Thailand.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W. (1995) Multigrade Teaching: A review of research and practice. Serial no. 12, London: Overseas Development Administration.Google Scholar
- Little, A. W. (1999) Labouring to Learn: Towards a political economy of plantations, people and education in Sri Lanka. London and New York: Macmillan and St Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W. (2004) Learning and teaching in multigrade settings, Background Paper for the Global Monitoring Report. Available online: http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/file_download.php/548cfe4ac0864fcea666900c2144e4d1Little.doc (Accessed 10 March 2005).
- Little, A.W. and Wolf, A. (1996) Assessment in Transition: Learning, monitoring and selection in international perspective. Oxford: Pergamon.Google Scholar
- Little, A.W., Hoppers, W. and Gardner, R. (eds) (1994) Beyond Jomtien: Implementing Primary Education for All. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lok Jumbish, (1993) Learning Together. Stockholm: Swedish International Development Authority.Google Scholar
- Lungwangwa, G. (1989) Multigrade Schools in Zambian Primary Education. SIDA Education Division Documents no. 47. Stockholm: Swedish International Development Authority.Google Scholar
- Mason, D.A. and Burns, R.B. (1996) Teachers’ views of combination classes. Journal of Educational Research, 89 (1), 36–45.Google Scholar
- Miguel, M.M. and Basaga, E.B. (1997) Multi-grade schooling in the Philippines: a strategy for improving access to and quality of primary education. In D.W. Chapman, L.O. Mahlck and A.E.M. Smulders (eds) From Planning to Action: Government initiatives for improving school-level practice. Paris: Pergamon/UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Menon, L. and Rao, P. (2004) Multigrade for remote and disadvantaged schools. Paper delivered at Second International Multigrade Teaching Conference: Turning biases into benefits. Armidale Centre for Research on Education in Context, University of New England.Google Scholar
- Miller, B.A. (1991) A Review of the Qualitative Research on Multigrade Education. Journal of Research in Rural Education, 7 (2), 3–12.Google Scholar
- Padmanabha Rao, Y.A. (2005) Quality Schooling: enriching the commons. Paper delivered at the 8th UKFIET International Conferences on Education and Development, Oxford, 13-15 September, 2005.Google Scholar
- Pratt, D. (1986) On the merits of multiage classrooms. Research in Rural Education, 3 (3), 111–115.Google Scholar
- Pridmore, P. (2004) Education for All: the paradox of multigrade teaching. Paper delivered at Second international multigrade teaching conference: Turning biases into benefits. Armidale: Centre for Research on Education in Context, University of New England.Google Scholar
- Rishi Valley Education Centre (2000) Report of Second National Workshop on Planning and Implementation of Multigrade Programmes. Rishi Valley, Andhra Pradesh: Rishi Valley Education Centre, Krishnamurti Foundation India.Google Scholar
- Rojas, C. and Castillo, Z. (1988) Evaluación del programa Escuela Nueva en Colombia. Bogotá: Instituto ser de investigaciones.Google Scholar
- Rowley, S.D. (1992) Multigrade classrooms in Pakistan: how teacher conditions and practices affect student achievement. Unpublished PhD thesis: Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Rowley, S.D. and Nielsen, H.D. (1997) School and classroom organisation in the periphery: the assets of multigrade teaching’. In H.D. Nielsen and WK. Cummings (eds), Quality Education for All: Community oriented approaches. New York and London: Garland.Google Scholar
- Ross, A. (2000) Curriculum, Construction and Critique. London: Falmer.Google Scholar
- Shotton, J. (1998). Learning and Freedom: Policy, pedagogy and paradigms in Indian education and schooling. New Delhi: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sibli, M.P.M.M. and Cash, T. (2003) Multigrade Teacher Training Manual for ISAs. Colombo: National Institute of Education, Primary Mathematics Unit.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, T. (2004) ‘Multigrade teachers and their training in rural Nepal: practice and training’. Unpublished PhD thesis. Institute of Education, University of London.Google Scholar
- UNESCO/APEID (1989) Multigrade Teaching in Single-Teacher Primary Schools. Bangkok: Asia and the Pacific Programme of Educational Innovation for Development.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2002) Education for All: Is the world on track? Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2003) Gender and Education for All: The leap to equality. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2004) Education for All: The quality imperative. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Veenman, S. (1995) Cognitive and noncognitive effects of multigrade and multi-age classes: a best-evidence synthesis. Review of Educational Research, 65 (4), 319-381.Google Scholar
- Vithanapathirana, M. (2005) ‘Improving multigrade teaching: action research with teachers in rural Sri Lanka’. Unpublished PhD thesis. Institute of Education University of London.Google Scholar
- Vu, T.S., Pridmore, P., Nga, B.M.D. and Kick, P. (2002) Renovating the Teaching of Health in Multigrade Primary Schools: A teacher’s guide to health in natural and social sciences (Grades 1, 2 and 3) and Science (Grade 5). Hanoi: British Council and National Institute of Educational Sciences.Google Scholar
- Warwick, D. (1975) Curriculum Structure and Design. London: University of London Press.Google Scholar
- Internet sites www.hamilton-trust.org.uk (Accessed 11 October 2004).
- www.ioe.ac.uk/multigrade/teacher training materials.htm (Accessed 20 November 2004).
- www.norfolkesinet.org.uk (Accessed 7 June 2004).
- www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/literacy/publications/framework ‘additional guidance’ (Accessed 11 January 2004). www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/literacy (Accessed 6 June 2004).
- http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/file_download.php/548cfe4ac0864fcea666900 c2144e4d1Little.doc (Accessed 10 March 2005).
© Springer 2006