And the Remaining 22 Photons
Unlike all other electromagnetic apertures, the gamma-ray window was forced open by theorists at least a decade before the first photons passed through. Sources remain few by the standards of X-ray or radio astronomy, and the class with no unambiguous optical counterpart remains large. The twenty-four years over which the gamma ray bursters were poorly understood or misunderstood seemed very long to those of us who lived through them, though short compared to the eras of incomprehensibility for coronal lines and stellar pulsations.
Key wordsgamma rays gamma ray astronomy gamma ray bursts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aharonian, F.A., 2003. Very high energy gamma ray sources. In Bandiera, R., Maiolino, R., and Mannucci, F. (eds.). Texas in Tuscany … Singapore, World Scientific. Pp. 363–378.Google Scholar
- Bothe, W., and Kolhörster, W., 1929. Die nature der höhenstrahlung. Physikalische Zeitschrift, 30, 516–517.Google Scholar
- Fenimore, E., and Galassi, M. (eds.), 2005. GRB2003. American Institute of Physics, Conference Series.Google Scholar
- Harris, M.J., 1990. A search for linear alignments of gamma-ray burst sources. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, 43, 551–555.Google Scholar
- Ho, C., Epstein, R.I., and Fenimore, E.E. (eds.), 1992. Gamma Ray Bursts. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hufbauer, K., 1991. Exploring the Sun: Solar Science Since Galileo. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Hulsizer, R.I., 1949. Further results in the search for electrons in primary cosmic radiation. Physical Review, 76, 164–165.Google Scholar
- Matz, S.M., Share, G.H., Chupp, E.L., Vestrand, W.T., and Beresford, A.C., 1987. Supernova 1987A in the Large Magellanic Cloud. IAU Circular 4510.Google Scholar
- Michelson, P.F. 2003. Developments in gamma-ray astronomy: a report on the non-thermal universe. In Bandiera, R., Maiolino, R., and Mannucci, F. (eds.). Texas in Tuscany … Singapore, World Scientific. Pp. 133–140.Google Scholar
- Sandie, W., et al., 1988. Supernova 1987A in the Large Magellanic Cloud. IAU Circular 4526.Google Scholar
- Trimble, V., 2005. Gamma ray bursts in their historic context. In Fenimore and Galassi, in press.Google Scholar