Micro EDM Drilling: Accuracy Study
This paper examines the influence of various factors onto the final accuracy in EDM (Electro Discharge Machining) micro drilling. In particular, the main parameters affecting the size and position of the hole are discussed and techniques for minimising errors are proposed. The paper analyses the technological capabilities of different methods of setting up and dressing the drill (electrode) on the machine. The paper also evaluates the limitations of the EDM drilling process.
Key wordsMicro EDM Micro-EDM accuracy Micro holes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.H. Ho, S.T. Newman, State of the art electrical discharge machining (EDM). International Journal of Machine Tools&Manufacture, 43, 2003, pp. 1287–1300.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Ehrfeld, H. Lehr, F. Michel, A. Wolf, H.P. Gruber, A. Bertholds, Micro Electro Discharge Machining as a Technology in Micromachining. SPIE, 2879, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.N. Ravi, S.X. Chuan, The effects of electro-discharge machining block electrode method for microelectrode machining. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2002, pp. 532–540.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Masuzawa, M. Fujino, K. Kobayashi, T. Suzuki, Wire electro-discharge grinding for micro machining. Annals of CIRP 1985, 34(1).Google Scholar
- 5.H.S. Lim, Y.S. Wong, M. Rehman, M.K. Edwin Lee, A study on the machining of high-aspect ratio micro-structures using micro-EDM. Journals of Materials Processing Technology, 140, 2003, pp. 318–325.Google Scholar
- 6.K.P. Radjurkar, W.M. Wang, Improvement of EDM Performance with advanced monitoring and control system. Transactions of the ASME, 119, 1997, pp.770–775.Google Scholar