Flow Measurements and Numerical Simulation on Low-Crested Structures for Coastal Protection
A series of laboratory and prototype experiments have been performed to measure and model the flow around and inside low-crested structures and submerged breakwaters. The results of the tests are used to improve the understanding of the wave-structure interaction and its effect on the near-shore dynamics. The database become the core to develop an empirical model to determine dynamic pressure and velocity profiles for design purposes, and to assess the laboratory scale effects on coastal structures. Finally, the large amount of measured information is used to calibrate and validate COBRAS, a 2DV, VOF-type, RANS numerical model, proven to be a powerful tool for the functional and structural design of low-crested and submerged breakwaters, as well as a numerical wave flume to increase the applicability of empirical models.
KeywordsFree Surface Coastal Structure Wave Flume Submerged Breakwater Free Surface Displacement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kothe, D.B., Mjolness, R.C., Torrey, M.D. (1991). “RIPPLE: a computer program for incompressible flows with free surface.” Los Alamos National Laboratory, LA-12007-MSGoogle Scholar
- Liu, P.L.-F., Hsu, T.J., Lin, P.-Z., Losada, I.J., Vidal, C and Sakakiyama, T. (2000). The Cornell Breaking Wave and Structure (COBRAS) model. Proc. Coastal Structures ‘99. ISBN 90-5809-092-2, Volume 1, pp. 169–174Google Scholar
- Lomonaco, P. and Klomp, W.H.G. (1997). Rock cover damage assessment. Proc. BOSS Conference. ISBN 0-08-042834-7, VOLUME I, 1997 (ISBN 0-08-042831-2). pp. 179–193Google Scholar
- Lomónaco, P., Vidal, C., Losada, I.J. and Méndez, F.J. (2004). Wave Height, Pressure and Velocity CDF’s around Rubble Mound Protections for Submarine Outfalls. Proc. Coastal Structures 2003 (in Press)Google Scholar
- Lomónaco, P., Vidal, C., Revilla, J.A. and Losada, I.J. (2002). Flow and pressure distribution around rubble mound protected pipelines. Proc. 2nd International Conference on Marine Waste Water Discharges (MWWD 2002). Volume 2Google Scholar
- Losada, I.J., Lara, J.L. and Garcia, N. (2004). 2-D Experimental and numerical analysis of wave interaction with low-crested breakwaters including breaking and flow recirculation. Proc. Coastal Structures 2003 (in Press)Google Scholar
- Vidal, C., Losada, I.J. and Martín, F.L. (1999). Stability of near-bed rubble-mound structures. Proc. 26th International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE ‘98). ISBN 0-7844-0411-9, Volume 1, pp. 1730–1743Google Scholar
- Vidal, C., Lomónaco, P., Migoya, L., Archetti, R., Turchetti, M., Sorci, M., Sassi, G. (2001). “Laboratory experiments on flow around and inside LCS structures. Description of tests and data base.” DELOS European Project, technical reportGoogle Scholar
- Vidal, C., Lomónaco, P. and Martín, F.L. (2002). Prototype analysis of stability of rubble mound protections for submarine outfalls. Proc. 28th International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE 2002). ISBN 981-238-238-0, pp. 1936–1948Google Scholar