Real-Time MBS Formulations: Towards Virtual Engineering
This paper presents the research conducted during the last years by the Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering on real-time formulations for the dynamics of multi-body systems, a topic of great relevance for the development of new virtual reality applications. The work carried out by our group has been focused on: a) the development of real-time formulations capable of performing very fast calculations of the dynamics of complex rigid-flexible multi-body systems; b) the experimental validation of the motions, deformations and forces obtained through the application of the above-mentioned formulations, so as to verify that reality is being reasonably well imitated; c) the study of the aptitude of such formulations for becoming part of a virtual reality environment, in connection with user-interface devices. In the paper, a real-time formulation developed by the authors is described, along with some examples of rigid-flexible multi-body systems simulated with such formulation. Moreover, results of the experimental validation of one of the examples are shown. Finally, a simulator based on the proposed formulation is presented.
Key wordsmulti-body dynamics real-time formulations virtual reality product life-cycle experimental validation simulator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Garcia de Jalon, E. Bayo, Kinematic and Dynamic Simulation of Multibody Systems—The Real-Time Challenge (Springer-Verlag, 1994).Google Scholar
- 3.E. Eich-Soellner, C. Führer, Numerical Methods in Multibody Dynamics (B.G. Teubner Stuttgart, 1998).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Geradin, A. Cardona, Flexible Multibody Dynamics-A Finite Element Approach (John Wiley and Sons, 2001).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Avello, Simulación Dinámica Interactiva de Mecanismos Flexibles con Pequeńas Deformaciones (Ph. D. Thesis, Universidad de Navarra, Spain, 1995).Google Scholar
- 7.K. E. Brenan, S. L. Campbell, L. R. Petzold, The Numerical Solution of Initial Value Problems in Differential-Algebraic Equations (Elsevier, 1989).Google Scholar
- 8.E. Bayo, A. Avello, Singularity Free Augmented Lagrangian Algorithms for Constrained Multibody Dynamics, Nonlinear Dynamics (Vol. 5, 1994, pp. 209–231).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Angeles, O. Ma Dynamic Simulation of n-axis Serial Robotic Manipulators using a Natural Orthogonal Complement (Int. J. of Robotic Research, Vol. 7, No. 5, 1988, pp. 32–47).Google Scholar