Transverse Propagating Waves in Perturbed Periodic Structures
We present here an analysis of electromagnetic waves propagating through a doubly periodic array of inclusions which are not necessarily circular. A small perturbation to a circular boundary is introduced, and this can be used to derive the e ective boundary conditions for the perturbed inclusion. We examine the e ect of this perturbation on the dispersion curves for the material, and compare this with a finite element modelling of the perturbed structure.
KeywordsBloch waves perturbation method eigenvalue problem photonic crystals finite element method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Kittel, Introduction to solid state physics, John Wiley and Sons, Seventh edition, (1996), 185.Google Scholar
- R. C. McPhedran and N. A. Nicorovici and L. C. Botten and Ke-Da Bao, Green’s function, lattice sums and Rayleigh’s identity for a dynamic scattering problem, IMA Volumes in Mathematics and its Applications, 96, Springer-Verlag, New York, (1997), 155–186.Google Scholar
- B. Meys, Ph.D. Thesis, Université de Liège, (1999).Google Scholar
- J. B. Pendry and P. M. Bell, Transfer matrix techniques for electromagnetic waves, NATO ASI Series E:Applied Sciences, 315, Kluwer Dordrecht, (1996), 153.Google Scholar
- L. N. Trefethen, D. Bau III, Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM, Philadelphia, (1997).Google Scholar