Vibrations of a Circular Cylinder in Oblique Incidence Revisited
In this paper, we analyse the propagation of elastodynamic waves in a circular cylinder in the case of oblique incidence. We use a scattering matrix approach and derive an algebraic linear system which allows us to get a complete picture of the dispersion curves. This derivation is of the foremost importance, since it provides the right form for the algebraic system associated to a singular cylinder, basis of its generalisation to a doubly periodic array of circular cylinders.
KeywordsSpectral analysis elastic scattering acoustic waveguides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. D. Achenbach, Harmonic waves in waveguides, in Wave Propagation in Elastic Solids, ed. by H. A. Lauwerier and W. T. Koiter. North-Holland Publishing Company (1973), p. 240.Google Scholar
- S. Guenneau, C. Poulton and A.B. Movchan, A spectral problem for conically propagating elastic waves through an array of cylindrical channels, C. R. Acad. Sci., series in Mechanics, Paris, (2002), 330, p. 491–497.Google Scholar
- S. Guenneau and A. B. Movchan, Analysis of elastic band structures for oblique incidence, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, (to appear).Google Scholar
- T. R. Meeker and A. H. Meitzler, Guided wave propagation in elongated cylinders and plates, in: Physical Acoustics I PART A, ed. by W. P. Mason. New York, Academic Press (1964), p. 130.Google Scholar
- Y.H. Pao, R.D. Mindlin, Dispersion of flexural waves in an elastic, circular cylinder, Journal of Applied Mechanics, (1960), p. 513–520.Google Scholar
- L. Pochammer, Ueber die Fortpflangzungsgeschwindigkeiten Kleiner Schwingungen in einem unbergrenzten isotropen Kreiscylinder, Zeitschrift fur Mathematik, (1876) 81, p. 324–336.Google Scholar
- A.W Snyder, J.D. Love, Otical waveguide theory, chapman and hall (1983), New-York.Google Scholar