Asymptotic Analysis of Higher Order Peripheral Modes in Acoustic Wave Scattering by an Elastic Cylinder or Sphere
Higher order partial modes are studied in the case of harmonic scattering of plane acoustic waves by an elastic cylinder or sphere. Short-wavelength asymptotic models are developed for localized Rayleigh and whispering gallery peripheral waves and non-localized distortion peripheral waves. Approximate formulae are obtained including local estimations for resonant curves. An asymptotic classification is proposed for modal resonances. Comparison with exact solutions is presented.
KeywordsAsymptotic scattering Rayleigh whispering gallery elastic cylinder sphere
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Babich, V M and V.S. Buldyrev, V S (1991) Short-wavelength di raction theory. Asymptotic methods. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Kaplunov, J D, Kossovich, L Yu and Nolde, E V (1998) Dynamics of thin walled elastic bodies. San Diego: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Kaplunov, J D and Kovalev, V A (2000) Approximation of the resonances of the Rayleigh wave in scattering of acoustic waves by elastic circular cylinders and spheres, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk. Mekhanika Tverdogo Tela, 35(4), 180–186 (Engl.transl.: Mechanics of Solids).Google Scholar
- Olver, F W J (1974) Introduction to asymptotic and special functions. NY: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Veksler, N D (1993) Resonance acoustic spectroscopy. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar