Color Your Feeling
Color selection plays a vitally important role in creating impressions of individuals or companies because colors have sensibility aspects and relate to some images or associations. Based on both the theory of color harmony and the sensibility ergonomics, some quantitative and systematic researches on the color image have been developed. In this paper, we suggest a color coordinate system that supports the color analysis and the color harmony functions using color images, which can be captured by corresponding adjective words. We focus on a system prototype for interior design domain to exemplify our concepts in this paper, even though this system can be applied for all design domains.
KeywordsDesign Support System Sensibility Ergonomics Color Coordination Color Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benyon, D., 2004, “Representations in Human-Computer Systems Development”, in press, http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~dbenyon/publ.html
- Cabarga, L., 2001, The designer’s Guide to Global Color Combinations: 750 Color Formulas in CMYK and RGB from Around the World, How Design Books, Cincinnati.Google Scholar
- Hasdogan, G., 1996, “The role of user models in product design for assessment of user needs”, Design Studies 17(1), p. 19–33.Google Scholar
- Hsiao, S.-W. and H.-Y. Ou, 2000, “A Study on the Application of the Spatial Color Image to Design”, Master Thesis, Department of Industrial Design, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Image Research Institute Inc., 2003, Web Color Design, DrMaster Press Co., Ltd., Taipei. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Itten, J., 1970, The Elements of Color, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.Google Scholar
- Komachiya A., 1991, Polyphony of Colour and Sensibility, Keisoshobo Publisher, Tokyo. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Ito, M. and K. Nakakoji, 1996, “Impact of Culture on User Interface Design”, in International User Interfaces (Galdo, E. and J. Nieksen eds.), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, p. 105–126.Google Scholar
- Nagumo, H., 2000, Color Image Chart, Long See International Book Co Ltd., Taipei. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tokumaru, M., N. Muranaka, and S. Imanishi, 2002, “Color Design Support Considering Color Harmony”, in Proceedings of the Eleventh IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, Hawaii, USA, IEEE, p. 378–383.Google Scholar
- Ueki, H. and M. Azuma, 2003, “Background Color Coordination Support System for Web Page Design”, in Proceedings of the Second IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (ICCI’ 03).Google Scholar