Shape Optimization of Transfer Functions
We show how to optimize the shape of the transfer function of a linear time invariant (LTI) single-input-single-output (SISO) system. Since any transfer function is rational, this can be formulated as an optimization problem for the coefficients of polynomials. After characterizing the cone of polynomials which are nonnegative on intervals, we formulate this problem using semidefinite programming (SDP), which can be solved efficiently. This work extends prior results for discrete LTI SISO systems to continuous LTI SISO systems.
Key wordsLinear system transfer function shape optimization nonnegative polynomials convex cone semidefinite programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CD91]Frank M. Callier, Charles A. Desoer, Linear System Theory, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- [GHN00]Y. Genin, Y. Hachez, Yu. Nesterov, P. Van Dooren, “Convex Optimization over Positive Polynomials and filter design”, Proceedings UKACC Int. Conf. Control 2000, page SS41, 2000.Google Scholar
- [Mar48]A.A. Markov, “Lecture notes on functions with the least deviation from zero”, 1906. Reprinted in Markov A.A. Selected Papers (ed. N. Achiezer), GosTechIzdat, 244–291, 1948, Moscow(in Russian).Google Scholar
- [NN94]Yu. Nesterov and A. Nemirovsky, “interior-point polynomial algorithms in convex programming”, SIAM Studies in Applied Mathematics, vol. 13, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics(SIAM), Philadelphia, PA, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Nes00]Yu. Nesterov, “Squared functional systems and optimization problems”, High Performance Optimization (H. Frenk et al., eds), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000, pp.405–440.Google Scholar
- [Pol97]E. Polak, “Optimization: Algorithms and Consistent Approximations”. Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 124, Springer, New York, 1997.Google Scholar
- [PS76]G. Pólya and G. Szegö, Problems and Theorems in Analysis II, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1976Google Scholar
- [WBV97]S.-P. Wu, S. Boyd, and L. Vandenberghe, “FIR filter design via spectral factorization and convex optimization”, Applied and Computational Control, Signals and Circuits, B. Datta, ed., Birkhäuser, 1997, ch.2, pp.51–81.Google Scholar