Minimizing the Number of Wavelength Conversions in WDM Networks with Hybrid Optical Cross-Connects
In this paper, we study routing and wavelength assignment (RWA) tasks in wavelength division multiplexed (WDM) mesh networks with hybrid optical cross-connects (OXCs) devices. We use two optimization criteria: (1) minimize the number of wavelength conversions, and (2) minimize the hop count. For each lightpath request, we solve the routing and wavelength assignment sub-problems as a single problem, rather than as two separate problems. Both problems are solved by a Dijkstra type of algorithm, executed sequentially on one request at a time. We also develop an integer linear programming (ILP) model with the above mentioned objective functions. We conduct a comprehensive simulation study of the performance of the algorithms for different network topologies and traffic scenarios.
KeywordsWavelength division multiplexing routing wavelength assignment Dijkstra algorithm integer linear programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Ramaswami and K. N. Sivarajan, “Optical Networks-A Practical Perspective”, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc, 2002.Google Scholar
- B. Mukherjee, “Optical Communication Networks”, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1997.Google Scholar
- T. Cinkler, D. Marx, C. P. Larsen and D. Fogaras, “Heuristic Algorithms for Joint Configuration of the Optical and Electrical Layer in Multi-Hop Wavelength Routing Networks”, in Proceedings of IEEE Infocom 2000, Mar. 2000, pp. 1000–1009.Google Scholar
- T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson and R. L. Rivest, “Introduction to Algorithms”, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1990.Google Scholar
- Y. Ijiri and H. A. Simon, “Skew Distributions and the Sizes of Business Firms”, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1977.Google Scholar