Studies of the Structure of Caprine Arthritis-Encephalitis Virus Surface Envelope Glycoprotein
Caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus (CAEV) is a monocyte/macrophage tropic lentivirus which causes an immune-mediated disease complex in domestic goats characterized mainly by progressive arthritis of carpal joints. Joint lesions caused by CAEV consist of synovial membrane hyperplasia and villous hypertrophy with extensive angiogenesis and perivascular infiltration of mononuclear cells accompanied by significant cortical hyperplasia of regional lymph nodes. The mononuclear cell phenotypes, comprising perivascular infiltrates, include MHC class II activated macrophages, CD4+ and CD8+ ab T lymphocytes, and, predominantly, B lymphocytes and plasma cells. CAEV-induced arthritis follows a chronic, progressive course with clinical signs of periarticular swelling, accumulation of synovial fluid containing inflammatory cells and radiographic changes of soft tissue mineralization, and erosion of articular surfaces. Lesions contain CAEV infected macrophages8 and virus are readily recovered from synovial fluid, synovial fluid cells, and explants of synovial tissue. Previous studies have established that immune responses to CAEV envelope glycoproteins contribute to the development of arthritis.
KeywordsSurface Unit Envelope Glycoprotein Equine Infectious Anemia Virus Outer Domain Infected Goat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. Narayan, M. Zink, M. Gorrell, S. Crane, D. Huso, P. Jolly, M. Saltarelli, R. Adams, and J. Clements, The lentiviruses of sheep and goats, in The Retroviridae, edited by J. Levy (New York: Plenum Press, 1993), vol. 2, pp. 229–256.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Garry, A. Krieg, W. Cheevers, R. Montelaro, H. Golding, C. Fermin, and W. Gallaher, Retroviruses and their roles in chronic inflammatory diseases and autoimmunity, in The Retroviridae, edited by J. Levy (New York: Plenum Press, 1995), vol. 4, pp. 491–603.Google Scholar
- 13.G. Bertoni, M. Zahno, R. Zanoni, H. Vogt, E. Peterhans, G. Ruff, W. Cheevers, P. Sonigo, and G. Pancino, Antibody reactivity to the immunodominant epitopes of the caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus gp38 transmembrane protein associates with the development of arthritis. J. Virol. 68, 7139–7147 (1994).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.W. P. Cheevers, K. R. Snekvik, J. D. Trujillo, N. M. Kumpula-McWhirter, K. J. Pretty On Top, and D. P. Knowles, Prime-boost vaccination with plasmid DNA encoding caprine arthritis-encephalitis lentivirus Env and viral SU suppresses challenge virus and development of arthritis. Virology 306, 116–125 (2003).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.R. Skraban, S. MatthÍasdóttir, S. Torsteinsdóttir, G. Agnarsdóttir, B. Gudmundsson, G. Georgsson, R. H. Meloen, O. S. Andrésson, K. A. Staskus, H. Thormar, and V. Andrésdottir, Naturally occurring mutations within 39 amino acids in the envelope glycoprotein of maedi-visna virus alter the neutralization phenotype, J. Virol. 73, 8064–8072 (1999).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.F. Özyörük, W. P. Cheevers, G. A. Hullinger, T. C. McGuire, M. Hutton, and D. P. Knowles, Monoclonal antibodies to conformational epitopes of the surface glycoprotein of caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus: potential application to competitive-inhibition enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detecting antibodies in goat sera, Clin. Diag. Lab. Immunol. 8, 44–51 (2001).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.P. D. Kwong, M. L. Doyle, D. J. Casper, C. Cicala, S. A. Leavitt, S. Majeed, T. D. Steenbeke, M. Venturi, I. Chaiken, M. Fung, H. Katinger, P. W. I. H. Parren, J. Robinson, D. Van Ryk, L. Wang, D. R. Burton, E. Freire, R. Wyatt, J. Sodroski, W. A. Hendrickson, and J. Arthos, HIV-1 evades antibody-mediated neutralization through conformational masking of receptor-binding sites, Nature 420, 678–682 (2002).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.R. Wyatt, N. Sullivan, M. Thali, H. Repke, D. Ho, J. Robinson, M. Poshner, and J. Sodroski, Functional and immunologic characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycoproteins containing deletions of the major variable regions, J. Virol. 67, 4557–4565 (1993).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.I. Hötzel, and W. P. Cheevers, Caprine arthtitis-encephalitis virus envelope surface glycoprotein regions interacting with the transmembrane glycoprotein: structural and functional parallels with the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gp120, J. Virol., in press (2003).Google Scholar